Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Any mountain bikers?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stated where I live in the previous post that you quoted.

We do get snow in the winter. We havent had any that stayed this winter though. I love it here.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
I stated where I live in the previous post that you quoted.

We do get snow in the winter. We havent had any that stayed this winter though. I love it here.
OH sorry, sometimes I have trouble with attention to detail, and attention span.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

Any other mountain bikers?

Anyone intersted in a trip to Whislter this summer?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Another biker, lived in SoCal for 6 yrs, worked for Horst Leitner at AMP Research (who remembers thier bikes..)..moved to NE in 97. Try to hit Moab or Colo couple times a year. This is from the top of Poison Spider Mesa in Moab...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dirt_101
Another biker, lived in SoCal for 6 yrs, worked for Horst Leitner at AMP Research (who remembers thier bikes..)..moved to NE in 97. Try to hit Moab or Colo couple times a year. This is from the top of Poison Spider Mesa in Moab...
Wow... Horst Leitner! No wonder you ride a Specialized. I still love the horst link. I've ridden a lot of different bikes, but still can't find anything that touches a true 4-bar for my style of riding.

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
Hey how is moab for a fairly novice rider? my fiance has plenty of bike (that tass in the pic), but she's not a big fan of the woods out here. The tight twisting trails with lots of lifts (over logs and what not). What's moab like? is it more open?

out here i ride these rough cut trails that aren't bench cut, you're sidesliding a lot (why i have a hardtail) and always dealing with tight switchbacks and trees.
Moab has terrain for every ability level. What I will say though, is that there isn't a ton of beginner/intermediate stuff. You can find it if you know where to look, but the classic trails tend to be more along the advanced side of things. Let me know if you want more info on Moab. I'm pretty familiar with the area.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

yeah, thier trails labelled beginner are still pretty tough, a couple easier rides might be the Monitor and Merrimac trail, Bar M Loop, Klondike Bluffs is easy but long and you get to see the dinosaur tracks in the rock..the slickrock is like riding on 180 grit sandpaper..your tires stick and you can climb crazy stuff. I love Moab..or Mecca as I like to refer to it...

Horst was an amazing engineer/designer and definitely one of the innovators in mountain suspension, Ive always had Specialized bikes and love the way they ride, but a couple years ago I bought a Kona Dawg, made one trip to Moab with it and it was an amazing machine, soaked up everthing you could put in front of it..had it two months before some puke walked in my garage and took it and my wifes Trek road bike...insurance company bought my FSR for me...
Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

not to get off topic but anyone have The Collective and Roam dvd's, Ive been eyeing them for along time and just bought the set, not here yet though.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

not to get off topic but anyone have The Collective and Roam dvd's, Ive been eyeing them for along time and just bought the set, not here yet though.
Ive got almost every mountain bike video made..... get em they are awesome.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Horst was an amazing engineer/designer and definitely one of the innovators in mountain suspension, Ive always had Specialized bikes and love the way they ride, but a couple years ago I bought a Kona Dawg, made one trip to Moab with it and it was an amazing machine, soaked up everthing you could put in front of it..had it two months before some puke walked in my garage and took it and my wifes Trek road bike...insurance company bought my FSR for me...
Ouch... One of my favorite bumper stickers that I've seen said "bike thieves will be shot on sight."

I'm actually on a Kona Coilair right now, and just came off of a Dawg. I loved the Dawg. I had pulled the RP23 that came on it and was running a DHX Air with an extra 1/4" of stroke. It bumped the travel up by a measured .6" and made for an even better riding bike. I had to decide between it and the Coilair, so the Dawg went away. I'll eventually be back on a horst bike, but everyones true 4-bars are so expensive, it may be a while before I decide to swing the cost.

I'm guessing by your ride that you lean more toward the XC side of things. Do you have a bigger hit bike at all? Something like what Kntr has?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i might bug ya man. i've been out there in the jeep, but never on the bike. Kim and i are going on our honeymoon in november. we were kicking around going somewhere cool out west.

how is moab in november? cold?
Mmmmmmm.... Moab in November. November is not only my favorite month in that town, but also one of the best kept secrets about Moab. There are a few days that are hit or miss, but for the most part the weather is ideal for riding. 60's to 70's and sunny almost every day. Of course, it depends on what time of the month you head there. We were there during Thanksgiving this past year and we woke up to snow on Friday. It melted off pretty fast, but it was chilly. Had we been there a week earlier it would have been great.

Feel free to hit me up anytime about the Moab area!

Quick Reply: Any mountain bikers?