Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Another railway shot accepted

Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another railway shot accepted

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=268131

I say accepted because that website touts as the best RR photos on the net.

I have quite a few rejections but I am a bit excited at this one.

At first it was rejected due to unlevel, which was true. I had to CCW rotation almost 1 degreee. I resubmitted it and the 2nd rejection was for too soft. Again it was and it was my fault because instead of reworking the full image I reworked the 1st submission...result way too soft.

So I emailed a friend and we both took a look at it and his advice was to start over from a full copy do all the corrections and resubmit...and it gets accepted.

My lesson today for me was to keep working the image and don't give up if you know the image was good.

You see I usually give up after the 2nd rejection because i couldn't fix what the rejection was for or I just didn't think it was as good as I though it was.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy steam engine batman!!

All I can say is wow! Is that one yours? Either way that is one great shot...makes mine pale to have it in the same thread.

As you can see there are some very good photographers on that site. NOw I am not saying I am good by any means...in fact there are a few good sayings that go hand in hand with me and photography.

1. Even a blind squirrle gets an acrorn every now and then.

2. A broken clock is right twice a day (unless it's digital then only once)

The way I look at it is I will never make enough to buy a Happy meal but I am happy to get a good shot every now and then.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think yall need a little help here.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Great pics! I love em', especially the steam train in the snow. Thank you so much!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
Great pics! I love em', especially the steam train in the snow. Thank you so much!
Only the first photo is mine. The other posters added the pics of the steam engines. Steam engines rarely run is the USA. If you want to see steam you gotta go to the U.K.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first and formost, congrats on the picture . i still haven't had any of mine excepted. but they keep giving me fewer reasons as to why... so maybe someday i'll get one accepted.

Originally Posted by woody_k
Only the first photo is mine. The other posters added the pics of the steam engines. Steam engines rarely run is the USA. If you want to see steam you gotta go to the U.K.

I dunno... there's still a lot of steam engines running around, i can count atleast 10 within a day's drive from me. i know that's no where's near the number of trains on the main lines, but it's still better then nothing.

and i thought the UK had completely converted to electric...

China is still running steam as their primary movers.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The UP Challenger #3985 whose pic I posted above runs passenger excursions more than once a year. It's the largest operating steamer in the world.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I should have detailed my post about steam engines. I know they do run but mainly as passenger or specials a few time a year. I am sure there may be some that do daily duty but I do believe that is rare or at least not the norm. Here in SO Cal when the RR's unleash one...we have guys renting helicopters to chase it!!!

I chatted with a few chaps from England in the Cajon Pass last year. They come out here every other year because they don't have freight trains in England. It is true that England uses electric traiins for most of their service but they have a higher concentrain of steam still in use than the USA...so I was told.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
The UP Challenger #3985 whose pic I posted above runs passenger excursions more than once a year. It's the largest operating steamer in the world.
My son is the real rail fan in the family. I accompany him on many "train chases". We've chased the Challenger several times over the years in addition to other steamers crossing the West. One year we were privileged to be invited to join a rail club to tour the shops in Cheyenne, WY. We saw all the equipment and parts used to repair the Challenger and other engines. That was a real experience I'll never forget.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I really want to see that thing in person. Hopefully it'll still be in service by the time I get enough saved up. Is there a website that tells when it'll do its excursions?

Well I should have detailed my post about steam engines. I know they do run but mainly as passenger or specials a few time a year. I am sure there may be some that do daily duty but I do believe that is rare or at least not the norm. Here in SO Cal when the RR's unleash one...we have guys renting helicopters to chase it!!!

I chatted with a few chaps from England in the Cajon Pass last year. They come out here every other year because they don't have freight trains in England. It is true that England uses electric traiins for most of their service but they have a higher concentrain of steam still in use than the USA...so I was told.
Yeah, from what I’ve heard, steam engines out west are rare jewel for those that appreciate them. Around here there's tons of scenic trains. Probably because everything started on the east coast and went west. Heck I just found out about another scenic train in WV that I’m already making plans for to ride in May. 9.5 hour trip around WV on a scenic train... damn!

I was reading that England was one of the last countries to convert out of steam because the fuel for diesel wasn't readily available. And in a few places, they have now started to re-evaluate using steam because over there it’s just more practical. Be cool as hell if they went back to steam... America would never do it. The greenies are already attacking diesel trains...

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
My son is the real rail fan in the family. I accompany him on many "train chases". We've chased the Challenger several times over the years in addition to other steamers crossing the West. One year we were privileged to be invited to join a rail club to tour the shops in Cheyenne, WY. We saw all the equipment and parts used to repair the Challenger and other engines. That was a real experience I'll never forget.

lucky!

Quick Reply: Another railway shot accepted