Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Ansel Adams

Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ansel Adams

Years ago I took my family for a vacation to Yosemite Valley and have regretted to this day of not taking a picture of one of the greatest photographers of our era. While my wife and daughter were busy doing their thing, my son and I drove around exploring and taking snap shots. Driving across the valley floor I noticed an elderly gentleman setup taking a picture and hours later as we drove by I noticed he was in the same spot composing and taking his picture. Months later seeing this man’s picture I realized the man was none other than the great photographer Ansel Adams. To this day I regret not stopping and taking a picture of one of the true masters at work.
Anyone not familiar with his work should look at what he was able to accomplish with black and white film.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

One of my favorite photographers.
http://www.zpub.com/sf/history/adams.html
Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

He was absolutely amazing. The patience to sit for HOURS waiting for the perfect light/shades, etc. He was incredible.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

He was a master at B&W, with B&W papers as well. His work lives on.

Anyone who does photography, developing and printing has to appreciate his skills and his sharing his ideas with us all. B&W tells more in a picture than 99.7% of any done in color. Somehow our imaginations get to roaming on B&W pictures.

To the OP, next time bring a chair or two, sit with a cooler, wait patiently and take shots throughout the day. Funny how mere seconds can make all the difference in the world when framing pics. Honestly most of us just don't have or can't take the time. :(
Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ansel Adams is one of my Idols

In my younger days I was going to be a Professional Photographer. I travel and did some great work. Got published a few times but nothing of note.

Still have a large collection of his work.

Fabulous human being
Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love his work !
Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Great, great photographer who not only left an incredible body of work but also left us the Zone System for all the world's black and white photographers. I saw some original Adam's prints on display at the George Eastman House galleries, you really don't get the full impact of an Adam's photo until you have seen a print that he himself labored over in the darkroom until it met his approval. Just awesome to stand and look at and admire.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

too much talk

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
JK Freak

At one point in his travels to and time spent in YNP he drove a Willys wagon with a platform on top where he'd sit/set-up his tripod. I saw an image once of all the gear he packed into the rig piled outside -amazing. He was one of the very best.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
In the spirit of Ansel Adams...All taken in Yosemite.
Here's my own contribution, taken while climbing from the valley floor to Glacier Point on Four Mile Trail. I'm certain that Ansel Adams has a similar B&W image, but have not been able to find it since. Eventually I plan to frame this quite large and hang it on my gallery wall in my living room--right above the print I have of Moonrise over Half Dome that's already hanging there.

Quick Reply: Ansel Adams