Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Any photographers here?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any photographers here?

Someone gave me their Canon Rebel a few months back. It's a great camera, takes EXCELLENT pictures but it's 35mm

I've used it to take trail shots but I want to take it on some of our night runs. I've been looking for (but can't find) a place that sells 1600 ISO film in the Phoenix area. That's the speed I'd need for some of these moonless nights.

Hell, I'd even mail order it.

Anyone used this speed of film before? Where did you get it?

I suppose I could try 800 but it gets pretty damn dark out there and I can't exactly put it on a tripod.

Last edited by adammj; 07-13-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two options....

Fuji makes a 1600 speed film.

You can buy it at Adorama Camera. They have a site.

or

you can buy an 800 speed film and manually set the film speed on the camera to 1600. When you have it processed you need to take it to a pro lab and tell them them to "Push Process" the film to 1600. It will cost a bit extra to have this done. In my past experiance this method results in better photos.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JKPhoto
... "Push Process" the film to 1600. ...
X2. But, also don't dismiss the possibility of shooting with a tripod at lower ISOs and longer shutter speeds/wider f-stops to improve image quality. Focusing at night can sometimes be tricky. Wide-angle lenses (because of their huge depth of field) and fast lenses (because of their brighter image) are your friends.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-14-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Any photographers here?