Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Learning to use a DSLR

 
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM
  #11  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I picked up a lot with Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" book. Turn the dial to M and think about how you want the shot to look before you shoot. What do you want as far as depth of focus, motion blur, etc? Are you going to need to compensate for the light meter?

But I really learned about exposure and got comfortable with driving the camera when I bought an old manual $50 50mm Nikkor lens and stuck it on my D40. The light meter doesn't work with a manual lens on the small Nikons, so you guess the exposure, shoot and correct. Instant feedback; you learn in a hurry. In a week or two, you'll be able to dial in the sunny-16 rule and correct it to a normally lit interior at night and be within a stop or two on your first shot.

Read up on composition. Nothing specific other than that the "rule of thirds" is something you should know about.

Last edited by 30Cal; 09-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.
30Cal is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM
  #12  
JK Junkie
 
GJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 30Cal View Post
I picked up a lot with Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" book. Turn the dial to M and think about how you want the shot to look before you shoot. What do you want as far as depth of focus, motion blur, etc? Are you going to need to compensate for the light meter?

But I really learned about exposure and got comfortable with driving the camera when I bought an old manual $50 50mm Nikkor lens and stuck it on my D40. The light meter doesn't work with a manual lens on the small Nikons, so you guess the exposure, shoot and correct. Instant feedback; you learn in a hurry. In a week or two, you'll be able to dial in the sunny-16 rule and correct it to a normally lit interior at night and be within a stop or two on your first shot.

Read up on composition. Nothing specific other than that the "rule of thirds" is something you should know about.
Welcome aboard the forum.

Before you post, take a second to check when was the last post... this thread is from last year
GJeep is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
  #13  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GJeep View Post
Welcome aboard the forum.

Before you post, take a second to check when was the last post... this thread is from last year

I think everyone is secretly impressed by a necropost for an opener.
30Cal is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM
  #14  
JK Junkie
 
GJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 30Cal View Post
I think everyone is secretly impressed by a necropost for an opener.
This happened to me too, when I was new here... No big deal
GJeep is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 PM
  #15  
JK Enthusiast
 
HappyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Highland, So. Cal.
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Still good info for others. I also am new to DLSRs, so I didn't notice this post last year. I just got a Nikon D5500. Lots to learn.
HappyJK is offline  

Quick Reply: Learning to use a DSLR


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: