Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Learning to use a DSLR

Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a lot with Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" book. Turn the dial to M and think about how you want the shot to look before you shoot. What do you want as far as depth of focus, motion blur, etc? Are you going to need to compensate for the light meter?

But I really learned about exposure and got comfortable with driving the camera when I bought an old manual $50 50mm Nikkor lens and stuck it on my D40. The light meter doesn't work with a manual lens on the small Nikons, so you guess the exposure, shoot and correct. Instant feedback; you learn in a hurry. In a week or two, you'll be able to dial in the sunny-16 rule and correct it to a normally lit interior at night and be within a stop or two on your first shot.

Read up on composition. Nothing specific other than that the "rule of thirds" is something you should know about.

Last edited by 30Cal; 09-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 30Cal
I picked up a lot with Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" book. Turn the dial to M and think about how you want the shot to look before you shoot. What do you want as far as depth of focus, motion blur, etc? Are you going to need to compensate for the light meter?

But I really learned about exposure and got comfortable with driving the camera when I bought an old manual $50 50mm Nikkor lens and stuck it on my D40. The light meter doesn't work with a manual lens on the small Nikons, so you guess the exposure, shoot and correct. Instant feedback; you learn in a hurry. In a week or two, you'll be able to dial in the sunny-16 rule and correct it to a normally lit interior at night and be within a stop or two on your first shot.

Read up on composition. Nothing specific other than that the "rule of thirds" is something you should know about.
Welcome aboard the forum.

Before you post, take a second to check when was the last post... this thread is from last year
Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Welcome aboard the forum.

Before you post, take a second to check when was the last post... this thread is from last year

I think everyone is secretly impressed by a necropost for an opener.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 30Cal
I think everyone is secretly impressed by a necropost for an opener.
This happened to me too, when I was new here... No big deal
Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Still good info for others. I also am new to DLSRs, so I didn't notice this post last year. I just got a Nikon D5500. Lots to learn.

Quick Reply: Learning to use a DSLR