JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Photography & Videography (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/photography-videography-103/)
-   -   Video Editing Software ....Help (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/photography-videography-103/video-editing-software-help-188143/)

runforestrun 07-27-2011 07:39 AM

I have been an Avid video editor for 15 years. i'd go with Avid as it is the industry standard and you could eventually get a job using this software if you wanted. You could be a premier or FCP editor but your salary will be lower. Just my 2 cents.

TURTLECON 07-27-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by runforestrun
I have been an Avid video editor for 15 years. i'd go with Avid as it is the industry standard and you could eventually get a job using this software if you wanted. You could be a premier or FCP editor but your salary will be lower. Just my 2 cents.

It's not the software, it's the creativity of the editor. Seems a little small minded, don't you think, to say your salary will be based on what software you know or use? I've been an editor for as long as you, using several different software programs over the years. My salary has never been dictated by software, but how creatively I use it to create a great product. I love both AVID and FCP, and at times I prefer one over the other depending on the project I'm working on. No offense, but I think your advice is a little misguided.

Mixilpidilstick 07-27-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigRedJK (Post 2429392)
It's not the software, it's the creativity of the editor.

Creativity is a large part of any project, but having good tools goes a long ways. I don't consider myself independently creative. Had I not watched a number of other videos and read a few how-to and beginners guides, my video would have been horrible.

I am finding it difficult to capture the steepness of many obstacles. I don't feel I have effectively captured it in either stills or video. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Actually any tips or tricks for off-road action videos.

runforestrun 07-27-2011 08:58 AM

It's not the software, it's the creativity of the editor. Seems a little small minded, don't you think, to say your salary will be based on what software you know or use? I've been an editor for as long as you, using several different software programs over the years. My salary has never been dictated by software, but how creatively I use it to create a great product. I love both AVID and FCP, and at times I prefer one over the other depending on the project I'm working on. No offense, but I think your advice is a little misguided.

I have always been able to charge more for Avid than FCP, over the years for my day rate. There are industry standards and Avid editors, in most cases make more. Just trying to give some advice from my experience. I do agree that is is that editor not the tools, but how many movies are made with Premiere?

TURTLECON 07-27-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by runforestrun

I have always been able to charge more for Avid than FCP, over the years for my day rate. There are industry standards and Avid editors, in most cases make more. Just trying to give some advice from my experience. I do agree that is is that editor not the tools, but how many movies are made with Premiere?

Good point, if looking at day rates for edit suites. Things might change for Premiere with the bad feedback FCP X has received from Hollywood and the Professional Video Industry. You'd be surprised... a lot of studio films are being cut on FCP 6 & 7.

My .02 cents to anyone interested in seriously pursuing a career in video editing... learn both AVID & FCP and you've pretty much got your bases covered.

PainKiller 08-30-2011 04:32 PM

I tried to use the pre installed movie maker but ran into a problem since my camera is MP4 and movie maker doesn't support that, I looked for a converter and the video ended up choppy and it kept cutting out. anyone know of a software that supports MP4 ?

rdubb1031 08-30-2011 08:33 PM

I'll have to check premiere to see if it supports mp4..i think it does. I ended up buying the new photoshop and premiere elements as there was a package for sale for 120 a few weeks back..great deal and so far works awesome...

Mixilpidilstick 08-31-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by PainKiller (Post 2502648)
I tried to use the pre installed movie maker but ran into a problem since my camera is MP4 and movie maker doesn't support that, I looked for a converter and the video ended up choppy and it kept cutting out. anyone know of a software that supports MP4 ?

Are you on a MAC? I used Windows LIVE Movie Maker on Windows 7 without any issues. I also have Sony Vegas 11 and it supports MP4.

bigtimeb 09-19-2011 12:33 PM

I agree. Unless you all are editing 4k, AVCHD, MTS, special effects, 3D CG, closed caption, or more then 2 channels of audio, to mention a few, a basic NLV will work great. A roll, B roll, trim, dissolve, etc.... a basic NLV editor will do. Editing is only a small portion of a good video. This reminds me of the new guitar player that insists a PRS will make him play better or that new photographer needs a cannon 5D before he or she knows how to run a DSLR. Don't get to involved in what you need to make the edit happen. Start with something free or on the cheep. Its all about the creativity.
:beer: