Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

Video Editing Software ....Help

Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Editing Software ....Help

Ok, so I am using a Canon Vixia HF20. When I import files they come in as .mts which is HD quality. However, I can't seem to find anyway to edit these. I have Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, which is about 3 years old, but still a great software. Does anyone know how I can edit these videos? Recommendations?

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

I'm not familiar with the camera or the software, but is there any way to import it as H.264. That's the most current HD codec I'm familiar with. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

thats the issue. .mts is the file type and most software's i'm finding don't support it yet.. its HD file type.. not sure with all the specifics and lingo, but its driving me nuts.. Just want to put some videos together...
Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From my experience, older versions of Adobe Premiere don't handle .mts files very well if at all. It wasn't until Premiere Pro CS5 came along that .mts files really started working well without all the bugs of previous versions. If you can't upgrade, then you might consider some kind of conversion program. Google .mts to .mp4 and you should find several programs and guides.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflifette
From my experience, older versions of Adobe Premiere don't handle .mts files very well if at all. It wasn't until Premiere Pro CS5 came along that .mts files really started working well without all the bugs of previous versions. If you can't upgrade, then you might consider some kind of conversion program. Google .mts to .mp4 and you should find several programs and guides.
What do you use for your project jk videos? Camera? File type? Software?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
What do you use for your project jk videos? Camera? File type? Software?
I use a Sony handycam, .mts files, and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I think I'm going to go with premiere elements. Think I'll be ok for a beginner with this software?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Default Fcp x

Hi, I just bought FCP 10, it handles .mts files no problem and editing is very easy with FCP, I definitely would recommend it. Of course you need the computer power as well......

Have a look at my latest trailer (1 Borneo Expedition 4x4 2011) cheers Mark
http://youtu.be/tXEZ2fKPwRk
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am just getting started in video editing. I made my first ever movie using Windows Movie Maker that comes with Windows 7. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, but I found the software very limited. So I have been reading up on video editing software. Cyberlink Powerdirector gets a lot of good reviews and has a low price point. I have a good friend who has been doing video editing/production for 20+ years. He recommended Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premier Pro for us PC users. Just about everyone I know that does video editing uses Final Cut Pro on Mac. Anyway, I currently have trial versions of Sony Vegas Platinum and Cyberlink PowerDirector installed. They both have the ability to import .mts files.

Here is the video I made with Window Live Movie Maker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sG1sWqmGw
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Good info so far. I have it narrowed down to Pinnacle Avid, adobe premiere elements, and powerdirector... going to download trials and see how they work this weekend hopefully.. anyone use Avid. Seems to get pretty good reviews..

Quick Reply: Video Editing Software ....Help