Notices
Photography & Videography General discussion forum regarding all aspects of photography including 35mm SLR cameras, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras, lenses, photo techniques, darkroom/Photoshop techniques and anything related to photography or videography.

While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska

Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two years ago while on a photo expedition near Moose Head Lake, Maine, this young bull exited the woods right in front of me. Quickly, I moved behind a fairly large tree for quick cover. He stood roughly 40 to 45ft in front of where I was standing. Between the young bull and myself was a water puddle. He walked up to the water puddle and did something you don't often see. With a few quick movements from side to side he dropped to his knees. Not a position to be in with predators in the area. However, in Maine there are no wolves to be concerned with other than man. All at once he stood to his feet and stuck his tongue out at me. Couldn't help but laugh as he turned towards the forest where he had come from. I think that God made all the animals and had parts left over. With those part he made a moose!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3559 copy.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	125767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3593 copy.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	125768  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

those are some amazing pictures you have there sir. beautiful animals..
Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi josh jacklyn,
Thank you for the complement! Everytime I'm on a photo shoot, whether in remote areas of Alaska or in my own home state, I find myself overwhelmed with every encounter I have. These creatures are simply awesome to watch and photograph. I'm certainly blessed to do this for a living while traveling all over North America.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi

They start doing this at a very young age....

Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some images I had taken while flying through the mountain range of Denali National Park, Alaska. We had taken off from the Talkeetna airport and landed up on Ruth Glacier. The landing was rough because the glacier ice becomes extremely unstable later in the season. After we landed in the Don Sheldon Amphitheater where the Mountain cabin was located, we got out and stood next to the plane. It was there you could see Mt. Foraker (17,400 ft), Mt. Hunter (14,573 ft) and the tallest mountain in North America, Mt. Mckinley standing proudly at 20,320 ft.

Name:	FH070032.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	127490   Click image for larger version

Name:	FH080034_edited-1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	127491   Click image for larger version

Name:	FH080014_edited-1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	127493   Click image for larger version

Name:	FH080009_edited-1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	127495   Click image for larger version

Name:	FH070038.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	127500  

Last edited by dallasc; 02-14-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Photographing wolves in the wild can be a big challenge. I remember one summer while photographing in Denali National Park, Alaska, I was patiently waiting near the entrance of a wolf den just north of the Toklat River bridge for the chance to photograph wolf pups. However that day was extremely warm and they never left the cool comfort of the den. So I came up short handed.

I finally decided to move up the park road a little further when all at once I noticed a lone wolf running back to where I had just spent the afternoon. I soon realized that this was the mother of the pups I was attempting to photograph earlier. I was only able to get one quick shot. If I would have remained more patient, I could have captured the reunion of mom and the pups. Wildlife photography is all about patience. One last think, look at what mom is carrying back to the den for the wolf pups. The Toklat wolf pack had just harvest a caribou minutes before I got there.

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	138144  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Great pictures! You are very talented.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Howdy.....I've fished the "area" many times but never there right at the Russian.....not into combat fishing. I also fish other places around where the salmon are thick so it naturally means bears. So I too carry a sidearm as well. Ran into a sow with 3 cubs last summer when fishing a tributary coming into Tustumena Lake.....which is not far from my house.
The one time I went to the Kenai River and went fishing with the USA River Rafting, and it was a memory of a life time!! My Grand father took me when I was 14 and then we hit up Homer, and Sewart. I would love to go back. Love it! You are a luck man!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dallasc
Photographing wolves in the wild can be a big challenge. I remember one summer while photographing in Denali National Park, Alaska, I was patiently waiting near the entrance of a wolf den just north of the Toklat River bridge for the chance to photograph wolf pups. However that day was extremely warm and they never left the cool comfort of the den. So I came up short handed.

I finally decided to move up the park road a little further when all at once I noticed a lone wolf running back to where I had just spent the afternoon. I soon realized that this was the mother of the pups I was attempting to photograph earlier. I was only able to get one quick shot. If I would have remained more patient, I could have captured the reunion of mom and the pups. Wildlife photography is all about patience. One last think, look at what mom is carrying back to the den for the wolf pups. The Toklat wolf pack had just harvest a caribou minutes before I got there.
Once when I was guiding for Brown Bear, I watched (with binos) a wolf face off with a wolverine that was protecting an old caribou carcass. It didn't last long. The lone wolf didn't want any part of that fight. I ended up seeing that wolf again at the opening of a den. Never did see the pups but I had thoughts of going over there to check it out. We got a bear so I never did. I've been around wolves quite a bit up here. Pretty close a couple times but never got pics.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by PatrickESJK
The one time I went to the Kenai River and went fishing with the USA River Rafting, and it was a memory of a life time!! My Grand father took me when I was 14 and then we hit up Homer, and Sewart. I would love to go back. Love it! You are a luck man!!!!
Hope you can make it back....

Quick Reply: While Shooting in Katmai National Park Alaska