Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel spokes 07 JK

Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Steering wheel spokes 07 JK

New to me 07 Wrangler JK that I am cleaning up and the brush chrome covers on the 4 spokes of the steering wheel,

look worn out..I have seen some cover over remedies..What is y'alls opinion of the best brand and where to purchase them..Thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I would think that the Rugged Ridge spoke covers would be the easiest fix, no?
Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would think that the Rugged Ridge spoke covers would be the easiest fix, no?
I have looked a several and my question is whether it blends in well as far as covering the existing one..I wish I could just take the old one off and replace it I hate hiding something, but don't want to replace the whole steering wheel.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Why can't you take the old ones off? Alternative could be to remove the steering wheel (follow a clockspring or cruise control write up), tape off the rest of the wheel, then paint the spokes. Double down on clear so they'll last.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Why can't you take the old ones off? Alternative could be to remove the steering wheel (follow a clockspring or cruise control write up), tape off the rest of the wheel, then paint the spokes. Double down on clear so they'll last.
It's my understanding that replacing the steering wheel is the only way other than covering over it..I will research further..Mine has no buttons such as cruise control, just a wheel.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ahhh, so you've got a Sahara then? If it's Mopar (Sahara) then I suggest pulling the wheel off and painting them. If they're just stuck on like the aftermarket alternatives then unstick them, paint them, restick them with 3m double sided tape. Pulling the wheel off isn't bad to do.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Ahhh, so you've got a Sahara then? If it's Mopar (Sahara) then I suggest pulling the wheel off and painting them. If they're just stuck on like the aftermarket alternatives then unstick them, paint them, restick them with 3m double sided tape. Pulling the wheel off isn't bad to do.
Thanks but is says X on the side of the fender..Not a Sahara just a plain Jane
Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I totally hear ya in regards to covering things up. I'm usually an attention to detail guy too. I've got a similar situation with a '12 Focus I bought for my daughter. I wish they didn't make these pieces part of the steering wheel assembly, but such is life. It it were me, and I was completely against covering em up for $40 and 10 minutes of time, I personally would weigh option #2 as masking and protecting EVERYTHING, and hitting it with a light coat of rattle can.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I totally hear ya in regards to covering things up. I'm usually an attention to detail guy too. I've got a similar situation with a '12 Focus I bought for my daughter. I wish they didn't make these pieces part of the steering wheel assembly, but such is life. It it were me, and I was completely against covering em up for $40 and 10 minutes of time, I personally would weigh option #2 as masking and protecting EVERYTHING, and hitting it with a light coat of rattle can.
I am considering that, I may just remove the steering wheel to do it..Considering with the over spray, it would take a lot of paper and top pulled back..
Old 06-27-2019, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I want to thank all that are giving their suggestions, as I am new to Jeeps and need all the ideas and suggestions to help!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel spokes 07 JK