Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear main seal or upper oil pan gasket leak?

Old 07-06-2019, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal or upper oil pan gasket leak?

Hi everyone. Need help troubleshooting a rear leak. In the pics below you can see the red arrows where the droplets are forming.
In the 2nd/3rd pics you can see where the dye is coming down the center of the flywheel behind the engine once it is shut off.
I've already replaced the upper oil pan gasket, but did not put silicon in the corners since I could hold it up in place just fine. \
So, did not think the ultra black/red would be needed. After I road tested I came back, shut it down and let it sit for about an hour.
Under the light I can see a significant line down the middle of the flywheel and some lines from the corners of the upper oil pan outward (3rd image).
My thoughts at this point is that the flywheel is throwing the oil up everywhere when spinning which is causing it to to puddle in the upper corners of the bell housing and the upper oil pan housing.
It was my understanding after reading many posts that that line down the middle is a dead giveaway that I have a rear main seal leak.
BTW, there is nothing coming from the top end down the sides of the engine at all. So, I can rule out the puddles in the corners as being a top-end leak (valve cover, intake manifold).
There is no leak at all anywhere else around the upper/lower oil pans or the front where the timing chain cover is.
Thoughts? Is it still possible that my upper oil pan gasket is the culprit or can I rule that out now? Is this the 100% dead giveaway that its the rear main seal?

Thx guys and enjoy the pics!

Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has leaked since new, dealers had two goes under warranty but it still leaks. And ditto for handbrake which never ever worked... And now they found chucks of the oil pressure sensor in the oil filter! Of course, the whole housing has to be replaced 😡! That will be $1,100 thank you on top of the service... Sigh
Old 05-23-2023, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twinpartners
Hi everyone. Need help troubleshooting a rear leak. In the pics below you can see the red arrows where the droplets are forming.
In the 2nd/3rd pics you can see where the dye is coming down the center of the flywheel behind the engine once it is shut off.
I've already replaced the upper oil pan gasket, but did not put silicon in the corners since I could hold it up in place just fine. \
So, did not think the ultra black/red would be needed. After I road tested I came back, shut it down and let it sit for about an hour.
Under the light I can see a significant line down the middle of the flywheel and some lines from the corners of the upper oil pan outward (3rd image).
My thoughts at this point is that the flywheel is throwing the oil up everywhere when spinning which is causing it to to puddle in the upper corners of the bell housing and the upper oil pan housing.
It was my understanding after reading many posts that that line down the middle is a dead giveaway that I have a rear main seal leak.
BTW, there is nothing coming from the top end down the sides of the engine at all. So, I can rule out the puddles in the corners as being a top-end leak (valve cover, intake manifold).
There is no leak at all anywhere else around the upper/lower oil pans or the front where the timing chain cover is.
Thoughts? Is it still possible that my upper oil pan gasket is the culprit or can I rule that out now? Is this the 100% dead giveaway that its the rear main seal?

Thx guys and enjoy the pics!

Did you ever find the culprit behind the leaks here? I recently replaced my upper oil pan gasket and was super proud of myself, only to find it leaking in these spots you've pointed out a week later. Super bummed, and not sure what to do next.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal or upper oil pan gasket leak?