Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Transfer case issue

Old 07-20-2019, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Transfer case issue

This is my first post ever, so I apologize if I do something wrong.

I picked up 15 rubicons (stick 4 doors) with 28k mileages about two months ago and hit the trails last weekend. since then I have noticed the jeep makes "clacking" noise that seems to come from the transfer case. it only happens in 4 high or 4 low. it happens when I change gears in both 4 high and 4 low. First, I thought it was the front driveshaft as it needs a new cv joint but I took the front driveshaft off and it still makes that "clacking" noise. I even took the read driveshaft off and it still made that noise. after that, I decided to open the transfer case. I didn't find any metal pieces or anything. the chain is in good condition too as it only has 28k mileages on it. what I did notice is that when I took the chain off and put it in 4 high or 4 low, there was a good amount of play in the gears but nothing broken. I know this is not normal unless only the rubicon transfer case does that. I also have 12 jk Sahara and that doesn't make any noise when in 4 low or 4 high.

anybody dealt with anything like that before

here is the video of the gears. IDK if this is normal or not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcKr...ature=youtu.be

it has 3" lift with 35s. Everything else is bone stock if that makes any difference.

Last edited by shan; 07-20-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: forgot to add vedio :)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had 4 rubicons including my current 2018 recon and all have done it and every one I have been with on the trail has done it in 4lo. I’m going to say it’s the nature of the chain slapping.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have had 4 rubicons including my current 2018 recon and all have done it and every one I have been with on the trail has done it in 4lo. I’m going to say it’s the nature of the chain slapping.
That is really strange. Most of my friends have rubicons, and I've never heard this in person, and have never heard them say anything about this. I sure don't question your experience over several jeeps....it's just really odd to me.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default transfer case issue

Thanks for the replies. now im more confused one said it's normal while the other said it not. I haven't found any solution to it. I did talk to one of my friends and showed him the noise videos, he told me I could add some Friction Modifier in the transfer case to num the noise.

here's another video, you can hear the clucking noise in the back. believe me its a lot louder and noticeable in person. anyone else got any ideas of what else I should look into. thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Af...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by shan; 07-22-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

You did not say if you are manual or auto. Mine was manual and had the same noise and it is not the transfer case. Why? because it is now in a low mileage (25K miles) 2016 Sport of my sons and it is silent. Mine is/was (it is apart for Chev LT conversion) the bearings going on the gearbox as it has 106000miles on it and that is about the time the NSG370 needs a refresh. They are not worn out if you freshen them now which gives them a new lease on life with bearings, maybe shifter forks and some synchro rings. Anyway I am surmising and don't know what your configuration or mileage is.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

its 2015 jk rubicon with 28k mileages and yes its manual. i double checked the bearings and everything. i might just put everything back and take it to a shop and see what they say about it
Old 07-22-2019, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

OK the mileage says your tranny should be good. Have you had the truck since new? If not then was the oil in the manual gearbox changed? If that answer is yes then was the correct oil used? Pennzoil Synchromesh or the Chrysler stuff. Both are about the most expensive oils known to man but they are the two of few that don't eat the synchros. The tcase uses ATF4. That slop in the gears in the video is weird. The TCase I just gave my son did not have that slop in it even with 106000miles on it.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2012 has always done it ,I’ve also been on the trail with many Rubicons that do it as well, watched a lot of videos on YouTube and hear it as well when going from forward to reverse with the rocktrac

Quick Reply: Rubicon Transfer case issue