Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OEM Radio Touch Screen Vs Aftermarket

Old 04-20-2024, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Radio Touch Screen Vs Aftermarket

I have a '17 JKU, and currently, I have the OEM radio (without the touch screen). I have been looking to replace it since I need to have carplay for the typical reasons (maps, Bluetooth, etc.). I am unsure whether it is best to buy an OEM touchscreen radio or buy an aftermarket. With my budget, I am willing to spend a decent amount but nothing crazy expensive. I have very minimal experience with working on my car but I would plan to install the new radio myself. Of course, there are many forums that talk about the best aftermarket radios but I was wondering what people thought about the OEM touch-screen.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a lot of complaints about Jeep radios, and my local audio shop says Wranglers are known for all having junky radios.
My 2016 is having issues, so I am planning on going to an aftermarket unit with carplay,etc,etc, and adding a backup camera.

You Tube has many helpful videos on replacing your radio.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

The OEM radio is garbage. It was developed in the mid 2000’s and while it was pretty impressive back in the day, it definitely is not now.

I just picked up my ‘15 earlier this month. I lasted two weeks before deciding to make the change. I thought about the Stinger Heigh10 but wasn’t impressed with the value. I really liked the Joying in my TJ so I decided to go with their 11.6” plug-and-play unit. Took about 30 minutes to install. It’s their flagship, with very impressive specs. It’s snappy, and the screen is incredible. And it has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.

$526 direct from Joying, and a little more through Amazon (but much quicker arrival). Not cheap, but really good value when you look at the usual suspects. And they have a 13.3” and 15.1” as well if you really want to go big. .
Old 04-28-2024, 12:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Alpine

No experience with the Stinger. 2017 Rubi HR JKU, I upgraded to the Alpine x409. New model is the x509. Yes you will spend +2k but results = awesome sound. Just my happy sounding opinion. Not sure the imposters can match it.

Quick Reply: OEM Radio Touch Screen Vs Aftermarket