Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2015 JK

Old 04-26-2024, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 JK

Hey everyone. New to the forum and bought a 2015 Rubicon. Basically had a few questions for any tech experts.

I will attach photos but was wondering if the front axle is a Tera 44 or just a stock axle with a Teraflex differential cover? It looks like it could be a Tera 44 housing for 4-6” lift because the bracket on the left matches.

Also was wondering if anyone new the exact lift on the vehicle? I measured 13.5” on the coils so I was guessing it’s either a 3.5” or 4” Teraflex Alpine lift.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2024, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 364 Likes on 340 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Looks like the PO did some nice upgrade mods.. I don't think it is a stock front with the High Pinion. Check for some/any stamped ids or numbers
Old 04-29-2024, 10:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome to JKF. Looks like the PO did some nice upgrade mods.. I don't think it is a stock front with the High Pinion. Check for some/any stamped ids or numbers
Thanks! The only numbers I saw on the front axle were 2006143 and 4175.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,604 Posts

It's a little hard to tell from those pictures, but I am leaning towards a factory axle. Here are a few things I notice.....and this is not to say that maybe TF design hasn't changed over the years.

This looks like a factory lower control arm bracket to me -

TF puts their badging here, but this might have changed -

This is a Synergy TB bracket, which would not be necessary with a TF axle that uses their own beefy bracket -

This one throws me off a bit cuz this doesn't appear to be a factory sway bar bracket -

Can't tell what is going on right here but this looks odd -

There's not a great shot of the C's, but they should be a dead giveaway vs. the C's on a factory axle. Also, look at the closure/skid on the lower control arm bracket. The upper C on a TF axle should appear much beefier than factory. -

It's just a little hard to tell from the pictures supplied.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's a little hard to tell from those pictures, but I am leaning towards a factory axle. Here are a few things I notice.....and this is not to say that maybe TF design hasn't changed over the years.

This looks like a factory lower control arm bracket to me -

TF puts their badging here, but this might have changed -

This is a Synergy TB bracket, which would not be necessary with a TF axle that uses their own beefy bracket -

This one throws me off a bit cuz this doesn't appear to be a factory sway bar bracket -

Can't tell what is going on right here but this looks odd -

There's not a great shot of the C's, but they should be a dead giveaway vs. the C's on a factory axle. Also, look at the closure/skid on the lower control arm bracket. The upper C on a TF axle should appear much beefier than factory. -

It's just a little hard to tell from the pictures supplied.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I know the Jeep has an Evo manual sway bar disconnect now.

I just took some pictures of the C’s and ball joints. Sorry it’s so dirty. Just got a good snowstorm up here at 10,000ft.

If the axle is stock I will look into C gussets and also beefier ball joints if those look stock to you as well.

Thanks!

​​​​​​​
Old 04-30-2024, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

this angle is helpful. i can see that is just a bracket by the spring to hold brake line, and that this bracket by the yellow arrow looks to be the factory with the red arrow bracket just being a means to lift the sway bar link. So odd to me they'd put the kind of money into this jeep for control arms and fancy shocks, and then not be willing to buy nice, longer, sway bar links. Make no sense to me.

The ball joints look like they have a grease zerk on em so those are aftermarket, but can't tell under all that much what brand. Even the Moog "OEM quality" once have a zerk. Factory BJs have no grease zerk at all and are not "serviceable". I can't tell on the bottom BJ, but TF has a unique zerk design on their bottoms. Considering how much TF stuff is on the jeep you might take a look at the TF BJs and compare.

I feel about 98% certainty you have a factory rubi44 front axle there.....but I'd leave myself room to fall down. I am just looking at a few pictures.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001

this angle is helpful. i can see that is just a bracket by the spring to hold brake line, and that this bracket by the yellow arrow looks to be the factory with the red arrow bracket just being a means to lift the sway bar link. So odd to me they'd put the kind of money into this jeep for control arms and fancy shocks, and then not be willing to buy nice, longer, sway bar links. Make no sense to me.

The ball joints look like they have a grease zerk on em so those are aftermarket, but can't tell under all that much what brand. Even the Moog "OEM quality" once have a zerk. Factory BJs have no grease zerk at all and are not "serviceable". I can't tell on the bottom BJ, but TF has a unique zerk design on their bottoms. Considering how much TF stuff is on the jeep you might take a look at the TF BJs and compare.

I feel about 98% certainty you have a factory rubi44 front axle there.....but I'd leave myself room to fall down. I am just looking at a few pictures.
Thanks! After a little research looks like they might be Synergy ball joints. Seem to match up well.

Currently have 37" Baja Boss A/T on. Would you recommend gusseting the C's? Will I be able to get sufficient flex with the current sway bar links?

I plan to wheel easy to moderate trails pretty often this summer in Colorado and Utah but have no intention of beating on the Jeep hard since it is also my daily driver.

I am also going to be replacing the front driveshaft with a Tom Woods in the next few weeks.

Last edited by CoJK15; 04-30-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

C-gussets are a good idea on a factory axle IMO. They don't cost much and they reinforce one of the biggest weaknesses in the D30/44 front axles. Most people aren't out breaking axle tubes n stuff....but a bent C is a real thing.

If you're going to have that jeep for a while, i would tell you that it just makes sense to me to have good front sway bars and not piddle F around with tiny brackets that raise that pos sway bar link or whatever. We're not talking high dollar stuff here. Are they going to be ok? Y, I'd imagine they will be just fine, as they have up till now, but it's sure a cheap way of going about it. Previous owner put high dolla shocks on, can't spare $125 or so for good links. . That is only my opinion. If they serve their function then it's all up to you.

On a side note, my dad lives in Florissant, CO. I've spend some time out there hitting trails in central colorado. Wheeler Lake just south of you is a fun trail if you've never been. Couple cool mining ruins right at the start and nice waterfall by them. The trail to the lake is pretty bumpy and it's a slow drive but it's nice up there! Couple obstacles right at the start that i don't think are a big deal but some might. IDK. I've also been up on 110 between Mt Massive and Mt Elbert. That is a cool drive up by Champion Mill and further up as high as you can make it. I was back 2 summers ago and they had that road closed past the camping spots for repairs. I'd imagine that is complete by now. The first year we were up there we pulled trout out of Emerald Lake like crazy. Throw line in and get a hit in moments. Last time we were there I couldn't get a bite at all but my wife and son caught one or two at least.

Thanks for taking the time to join the forum. Lots of good info on here over the years, and a good handful of folks still around to give advice and help ya out.

Wheeler lake from 2018 -

Last edited by resharp001; 04-30-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will look into C-gussets before I hit the trails hard this summer and will play the sway bars by ear and see how it performs. I have already learned a lot from reading other discussion threads on the forum and will try to stay active on here.

Wheeler lake is awesome! I have been up there once last October but I hiked up the Jeep road. Excellent brook trout fishing, caught an 18". I didn't see a soul all day since it was one day before the first big snowstorm of the year. Coming back down the trail I saw three built up pickups heading up bowling ball hill to the lake.

Something like Wheeler lake would be on the high end of the spectrum for how I plan on wheeling this Jeep. Maybe once or twice a year but I plan on doing trails more like Mosquito pass, Imogene Pass, Alpine loop, Pearl Pass and stuff near me in Montezuma like Webster pass and Chihuahua Gulch.

Last edited by CoJK15; 04-30-2024 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 JK