Notices
Silver State If you live in Nevada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Troubleshooting weekend ahead...'gascap' light on. :(

Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troubleshooting weekend ahead...'gascap' light on. :(

Read a bunch of threads on here. Looks like I'll be tracing the evap canister tubing and looking for leaks this weekend. 'gascap' light came on yesterday. Locking gascap fits tigh and seals look good. Hope it's just the o-ring on the evap tube.

Anyone had to do this yet? Any tips for finding leaks? Anyone wanna swing by Saturday for an extra set of eyes? I'm buyin'.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moma is flying in friday nite. I will be busy.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
Moma is flying in friday nite. I will be busy.
Found a reputable shop near work that will smoke test for $90. Going to save myself the frustration and drop it off there next Tuesday. Once they find the leak, I'll see if I can't just get the replacement parts and do fix myself.

Maybe just order relocation kit while I'm at it.

4" lift on hold, yet again.....
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Problem solved!

Was not gas cap, crack on evap canister, or bad o-ring. Was ESIM Sensor. Has a plunger that is activated by vacuum pressure. Was sticking. $9 part from MOPAR. Total smoke test, and replacement came out to $135.

FYI...Jack & Sons Automotive on Rainbow & Russell is great! Came highly recommended and they were quick, found the issue right away, and kept the labor rate reasonable. Would highly recommend them to anyone.

Now the downside. I asked them to check the exhaust manifold for cracks since I can hear sputtering under the hood. Of course they are cracked! Replace with OEM or with aftermarket headers? Hmmmm....
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

I need to check my manifolds, I know the drivers side is cracked...well pretty sure at least.

Should have gotten $100 evap skid to begin with, but thats no help now
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealership already replaced manifolds and headers. If you don't have the life time warranty I would go aftermarket. From what I here it is a pretty common issue with the OEM parts.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DAMN JK
Dealership already replaced manifolds and headers. If you don't have the life time warranty I would go aftermarket. From what I here it is a pretty common issue with the OEM parts.
Mine's an '07, so I was a lucky recipient of the 3 year/36k mile warranty. Been out of that for a loooooong time!

I see Rugged Ridge has headers. Will have to do some research on those vs. Gipson. I had a set of the RIPP Superchargers headers on a previous v-6 years ago. They broke on me then, and I think they're pretty pricey, so not considering them.

Time to scour the boards for the 847,296 threads on "Which Headers Should I Choose?".

Will need some of these:

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting weekend ahead...'gascap' light on. :(