Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Strange vibration at 65... Help?

Old 10-15-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange vibration at 65... Help?

I have an 08 2-door automatic. On July 31 a lady pulled out in front of me and I hit her going about 35. At the shop, the replaced a bunch of the front suspension components as well as the front axle housing. When I got it back there was a bad vibration that felt as if it was coming from the front left corner (impact was on front right) when I hit 55. It came on really fast and stayed about the same from 55-75, and then disappeared completely at about 52-53. I took it back to the shop that fixed it and was quickly told it was an issue with tires and that they don't replace tires unless they are punctured. The rebalanced them and sent me on my way.

Immediately after leaving, I noticed the vibration was still there, but I had to be at work so I figured I would call them when I got there. I did and was pretty much told that it could not be anything else but the tires, which sounds like a lazy mechanic who doesn't want to trouble shoot. I was planning on new tires that weekend anyways, so I didn't fight the issue there.

When I got my new tires, the vibration was gone at 55, but the same vibration now started at 65, but was slightly better. I also put an RC 2.5" coil lift and spacers. I made sure that the wheels that were on the front are on the back now. I've gotten used to the vibration, but it's still there. It is to the degree that I cannot see anything clearly in my driver's side mirror due to the vibration. I don't really know how to pursue this or what it could possibly be. Is it the imfamous death wobble, even though it's not a wobble, but a harmonic type vibration that I feel in the wheel and even in my seat. Could it be a bad steering stabilizer, or an out of balance driveshaft? I just want this thing gone. I love the Jeep, I just hate the vibration.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

sounds like a driveshaft issue.

Check the rear and see if its throw grease, same with the front
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

typically, a speed related vibration or shimmy in the wheel is a tire balancing problem. when running larger tires, it is difficult to get them balanced right and can require rebalancing on multiple occasions to get it on. being that you have new tires and still have the problem, i wonder if one of your wheels is out of round or damaged from the crash.

now, another thing to consider is drive shaft vibrations. based on what i'm hearing, it very well could be that your driveshaft is bent or damaged or maybe even threw a weight from the crash. if that is the case, it would vibrate at higher speeds just like you described.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
typically, a speed related vibration or shimmy in the wheel is a tire balancing problem. when running larger tires, it is difficult to get them balanced right and can require rebalancing on multiple occasions to get it on. being that you have new tires and still have the problem, i wonder if one of your wheels is out of round or damaged from the crash.

now, another thing to consider is drive shaft vibrations. based on what i'm hearing, it very well could be that your driveshaft is bent or damaged or maybe even threw a weight from the crash. if that is the case, it would vibrate at higher speeds just like you described.
good point, we recently discovered our one wheel was bent from the crash, its too bad we drove on it for 6 months before finding out
Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

The reason i don't think it's a wheel is that I have moved all of the wheels around a bunch and the vibration stays in the same exact spot. My driver's side mirror vibrates while the passenger side mirror is normal. I'll see if I can't get the driveshaft re-balanced or looked at by the shop. I just hope it isn't something inside the axle, since the housing was replaced and all of the original internals were swapped.

With the driveshaft, would I still feel a vibration from the front driveshaft if the Jeep is in 2WD on the freeway?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazynova
The reason i don't think it's a wheel is that I have moved all of the wheels around a bunch and the vibration stays in the same exact spot. My driver's side mirror vibrates while the passenger side mirror is normal. I'll see if I can't get the driveshaft re-balanced or looked at by the shop. I just hope it isn't something inside the axle, since the housing was replaced and all of the original internals were swapped.

With the driveshaft, would I still feel a vibration from the front driveshaft if the Jeep is in 2WD on the freeway?
Your front driveshaft is still turning in 2wd, so yes, you would feel it.

Quick Reply: Strange vibration at 65... Help?