Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

C2 Gussets...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Gussets...

Hey everyone! Quick question... I don't wheel a whole lot and when i do its nothing big. I am running 35"s on the stock D30 up front. Do you think it would be a smart idea to throw a set of the gussets on? Like i said its mostly a daily driver thanks for all your input!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nah. Waste of time and money if you're not beating on it. There have been some reports of folks bending their housings, but its the exception, not the rule... the 30 isn't horrible, especially for moderate to light usage.

Remember, for the 300 or so folks griping about bending their junk on the internet there's THOUSANDS that are driving a lifted jeep with 35s without being all Idiot Savant about it, like us.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the $ and can weld why not it wont hurt, easy to do and cheap. You never know when that right foot might get heavy
Old 10-17-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Done wrong you will KILL the end forgings by ruining the press fit on the ball joints.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Find a reputable welder in your area and see what they charge. (and read the write-ups concerning wet rags and alternating to keep it cool. Good info for asking the right questions to the welder)

The gussets are not expensive, the C's on the 'JK' version of the D30 are taller/longer (whatever the correct word is) than previous models, and we know they are prone to bending. The way I figure it, a pothole or even a curb could bend them as easily as smacking into a rock offroad.

Anyway, as long as the labor charge isn't too steep, and you feel comfortable with them welding for you, I'd say go for it...
Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the input!!! I can weld pretty good soo... I may just do it myself as soon as i get a lil cash. Now that i am thinking about it, It kind of depends on how far your wheel is sticking out? right? I have 4 1/2" b.s. on a 10" rim so there would be a tad more stress than say a stock rim which is a 7.5" rim with around 5"b.s.? Does that make any sense or am I thinking about it too much?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi

It wouldnt hurt to put some on .
Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a great idea for the webmaster or admin... If you have a user name make it mandatory to fill out your setup. Then have a search feature allowing you to search members with specific setups (type lift, Wheel size, etc...) then you can have vehicle specific answers!! I don't know just a thought.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have said, better safe than sorry. Weak c's are just one of the faults of these next gen d-30 & d-44 front axle housings. Beef up whatever you can on them.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sethmark
Done wrong you will KILL the end forgings by ruining the press fit on the ball joints.
Hmmm...interesting, I have a thread in the Xtreme JK Tech section questioning if welding the C's to the gussets could cause harm to them if not done right.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...01#post1389501

Quick Reply: C2 Gussets...