Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon rock rail

Old 10-18-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon rock rail

I see a lot of Rubicon slides for sale. They look to be pretty sturdy to me. why are most people taking them off? And what are they putting on thats better?
My Sahara of course has the ever so sturdy plastic steps for protection. I've been tempted to pick up a Rubi take off pair but the question keeps coming to mind of why people are getting rid of them.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have them on mine. They are very stout for stock pieces and will hold up to all but the harshest wheeling. Some aftermarket items do offer more protection and some are frame mounted, unlike the factory rails which are body mounted. Even though they are body mounted, they are still very stout. Unless you plan on some serious rock crawling, they will probably suffice.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As long as they are not blacklisted, you can give the name, pic and even a broken link. (just not direct links to non-vendors)
Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Getting rid of mine (for sale thread - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-bumpers-armor-114/oem-4-dr-rubicon-rock-rails-%7E-cut-oversized-tires-102577/) for these bad boys.........POISON SPYDER ROCKER KNOCKERS with SLIDERS!

Install thread....https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/poison-spyder-rocker-knocker-slider-install-4-door-jk-104091/

HEre they are in raw form.....

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

The stock Rubi rails are tough, no doubt about it. The problem is, once you start getting into serious rock crawling, they just don't protect the body well enough since they do nothing to keep the rocks away from your doors etc. I've got a 2 door Rubicon and plan on changing out the rocker protection down the road. Need to do the lift and tires first.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on extending mine for a little extra coverage. But no plans to change them, i've smacked on them a few times..
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock Rubi rails are extremely well built for factory parts. I first heard about the factory rails of the TJ, which I heard were very thin. After inspecting my JK rubi rails I was very impressed and cannot justify replacing them. I opted to just buy body armor above the stock rails.

I think most people replace them for looks. Make up your own mind about if frame mounting is better/worse than body mounting.

If you are concerned with money buy a pair of rubi take-offs they do the job perfectly, look good, and look factory.

The posion spyder knockers are awesome, do a fantastic job, and look custom. And you pay for it.

If I had an X, sport, or sahara I'd upgrade to the posion spyders. If your gonna do it, do it right. I have a rubi and I'm not worried about money but do not make mods for looks, they have to be practical... serve a purpose.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't beat the price I got on my Rubi take-off sliders. I got mine for $75 from a guy that upgraded to some Shrockworks. The Shrocks were really sturdy, but I just can't justify that expense right now, and the factory ones make the Jeep look a lot more finished. But if you want to pivot off your sliders on some rocks, they aren't for you...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

im still running mine. I like them they have held up really well. I am thinking about getting the EVO skins and calling it finished. The only thing i dont like about them is the fact the dont protect the doors. But i try to go door less or if im in a park i jsut take them off and chain tem up to a tree before i hit the trail. the poisne spider rails are in my future only because of that reason. I have gotten into more rocks and taking the doors off every trip does get old.

Quick Reply: Rubicon rock rail