Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AFE Power Pack... True or False?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFE Power Pack... True or False?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9UxYfSzQA

Has anyone used this set up, and if yes, can you verify the information from the video to be true or false?

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

I haven't used this setup but i've read alot of negative reviews about the intake/throttle body combo, the intake looks pretty cool IMO but it doesnt look like it will get much more air in than the stock air box does.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-24-2009, 10:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bazetthound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9UxYfSzQA

Has anyone used this set up, and if yes, can you verify the information from the video to be true or false?

Cheers!
I think that you will not find a consensus on the CAI, the spacer is controversial and the exhaust seems to be 50/50. That should make it clear as mud.

However, the difference with the potential difference with the aFe system is that they all come from the same manufacturer, which means that it is possible that they tuned the whole intake/engine/exhaust system to get some measurable gains, but without touching the PCM (Hmmmm). Fifty three ft-lbs (33%) is an incredible gain in torque given the changes, unless the factory system is really choking the engine.

If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. You be the judge!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spillidge
I haven;t used the exact setup, but I have an MBRP exhaust and K&N kit installed.

I put the exhaust on first, and noticed a difference right off the bat, more responsive down low for sure.

I drove the jeep like that for about 10,000km and just recently installed a K&N cold air kit.

The K&N did not make such a noticeable difference but there is totally a difference between 2500 and 4000 rpm.

I can't tell you about the spacer, I have no experience with that type of product, but the intake and exhaust DO make a noticeable change in the performance of the jeep.
I find this claim hard to believe that response was noticed down low. The release of backpressure in the system moves the powerband towards the higher RPMs, so power will now peak later. In addition, the dyno for an MBRP single catback shows 15 ft-lbs of torque at 4200 RPM, which is absolutely useless off-road.

For their price and the power they claim/deliver, it is not worth it in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I would have to say TRUE...I do not have that exact set up,
but i got the MBRP cat back exhaust-Airaid cold air intake-
Poweraid throttke body spacer...Definetly a improvement !!! I also add a little i have also the Superchips programmer...Definetly
worth the money i am very happy...
Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

I'm gonna agree with 08 RR but in reverse! I started with the MBRP muffler (little to no noticeable change in performance but did dramatically change the exhaust note which is what I bought it for!) .

Superchips next....ok now we're talking .

Next I added the AFE factory replacement filter (adds surface area only and leaves the stock airbox in place so no inherent problems with hydrolocking like some of the other CAI's, also a "dry" filter) no change in sea level performance but in the mountains "no change in performance either". The engine breathes better so even at altitude it's getting enough air (ok I don't really know but it ran great at 13K feet.) With my experience with the AFE I would say the "tuned kit" might just be a good buy in that the cover over the filter protects it from the serpentine belt pumping water into it. I have notice mud and water spots on my factory airbox after fording streams and it really concerns me that the open CAI's are an invitation to disaster!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Junkie

10 additional hp with an exhaust and CAI, OK that's believable but no way I believe the 53 ft lbs of Torque. When you make those type of claims, you better have an engineer on hand to tell the story of how it was done or in this case interrogate Mr Wizard who ran the dyno.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

My thoughts exactly!

I haven't been able to find this claim anywhere else, even on the aFe website, other than the Youtube clip.
Some advertising mediums require that you backup your product claims.
This is highly unlikely with Youtube, so you can
claim that it was designed by the "man on the moon" and it generates
500 additional HP.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

53 extra ft/lbs of torque? are you serious? I HIGHLY doubt this....HIGHLY

Quick Reply: AFE Power Pack... True or False?