Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help - random blue wire

Old 06-25-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - random blue wire

So I started running the coax for my CB antennae and when I popped off the trim piece in the driver's side foot well I noticed that there was a blue wire just hanging there. The end was taped with electrical tape and I can't figure out where it goes. Does anyone know what it is for and if it should be connected to something?

Here's the photo (assuming I'm posting it right):

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting -- I have a similar situation under the hood but I think thats from where they installed the trailer hitch wiring.
Did you hook a test light to it and see if/when it gets power??
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

That is your trailer brake activation wire..
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
That is your trailer brake activation wire..
So if I have the factory tow package, shouldn't that be hooked up somewhere. I did hook a test light up to it, but it wasn't getting any power (even with the ignition on).

Mike
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

It hooks up to trailer brake controller.. As of now its just a dead wire.. The trailer brake controller supplys voltage out and thats the wire that goes back to the trailer brakes.. It was nice of them to run it into the cab for you.. I would just roll it up and zip tie it up under the dash more out of the way..
Old 06-26-2007, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will do - thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Former Member

It hooks up to trailer brake controller.. As of now its just a dead wire.. The trailer brake controller supplys voltage out and thats the wire that goes back to the trailer brakes.. It was nice of them to run it into the cab for you.. I would just roll it up and zip tie it up under the dash more out of the way..
I've never had a trailer with electric brakes so maybe someone can enlighten me. If the blue wire goes to the output of the controller,is the other end one of the four pins on the trailer light connector plug at the rear? I thought those were all for lighting.
I'm still debating whether to go with electric or hydraulic surge brakes to retrofit on my jetboat trailer.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I've never had a trailer with electric brakes so maybe someone can enlighten me. If the blue wire goes to the output of the controller,is the other end one of the four pins on the trailer light connector plug at the rear? I thought those were all for lighting.
I'm still debating whether to go with electric or hydraulic surge brakes to retrofit on my jetboat trailer.
If you only have the 4-pin on the back then mostlikely you don't have the blue wire...
It is not connected to the 4-pin...
Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Former Member

If you only have the 4-pin on the back then mostlikely you don't have the blue wire...
It is not connected to the 4-pin...
In that case Is the opposite end of the blue wire tied away in the back of the Wrangler somewhere waiting to be pulled out by the hitch area?
I'm just wondering if the end behind the footwell panel might be the input signal to a brake controller.
I have the O.E. tow package which only has the flat 4 pin plug.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
In that case Is the opposite end of the blue wire tied away in the back of the Wrangler somewhere waiting to be pulled out by the hitch area?
I'm just wondering if the end behind the footwell panel might be the input signal to a brake controller.
I have the O.E. tow package which only has the flat 4 pin plug.
Most likely its behind the rear drivers side tail light..

Quick Reply: Help - random blue wire