Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Driveshaft / Trackbar / Control Arms Questions

Old 10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft / Trackbar / Control Arms Questions

I have an '08 2 door 6 speed with a 2.5" BB lift and i have the rear TF track bar bracket and shock extensions. I currently have had a couple instances of DW re-torqued everything per planmans write up my question is i want to upgrade to the TF monster adj track bar what all is involved with installing this? I read the instructions on TF's website and they are kinda vague unless i am thinking there is more to it then there really is. I also noticed i have the dreaded spew of grease starting on the heat Shields near my front t-case so i am sure a new shaft will be needed down the road. My front angle is real steep at the transfer case no pics yet until i get out of this walking cast.

Do i need to get lower Adj control arms for the front shaft? should i get the front lower and rear uppers at the same time? I guess i am the victim of trying to do things the cheap way i bought the RC BB 2 years ago and now i am slowly replacing things to arrive at a complete lift (lesson learned) i may just purchase the TF 2.5 spring kit and call it done or just piece it together with the springs and shocks.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installation of the monster track bar is easy. Remove the old one and install the new one. Torque to spec and then use the adjustment sleeve to center the front axle.

Front lower control arms are usually used to correct caster which will actually increase your driveshaft angle.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

it sounds like the major spew of grease probably has to do with your drive shaft boot tearing. i have the 2.5 bb lift and i'm going up to a 3.5 within the next week. i will probably be buying a front and rear ds within the next 6 months before i head out to moab for easter
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

wouldn't happen to be a silver 2 door and down in virginia would you?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottW
Installation of the monster track bar is easy. Remove the old one and install the new one. Torque to spec and then use the adjustment sleeve to center the front axle.

Front lower control arms are usually used to correct caster which will actually increase your driveshaft angle.
what point on the axle is the best for to measure distace from frame on both sides to make sure it is straight?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grim_creation
wouldn't happen to be a silver 2 door and down in virginia would you?
Nope black one in Pennsylvania
Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read the Do It Yourself Alignment writeup. (top of writeups area is a index...)
Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

ah, i ask cause there's a silver one with a franken lift in the parking lot here and has all the same problems you do, left him a note on his seat saying to check it out.. don't think he took it to heart though.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Measure from the hole ontop of the spring perch in front to a point on your tire tread.inside the wheelwell towards top. Then goto the other side and.measure to same spot on tire. In the rear depending on ur tire size either measure from the square hole by the brake line bracket in frame, or the hole ontop of frame in same spot. Its an oblong type of hole u will see.
U want to measure from uniform points that are the same on both sides.
U also want the tape measure as straight as possible, not curved around the tire.
sent from DroiD.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Measure from the hole ontop of the spring perch in front to a point on your tire tread.inside the wheelwell towards top. Then goto the other side and.measure to same spot on tire. In the rear depending on ur tire size either measure from the square hole by the brake line bracket in frame, or the hole ontop of frame in same spot. Its an oblong type of hole u will see.
U want to measure from uniform points that are the same on both sides.
U also want the tape measure as straight as possible, not curved around the tire.
sent from DroiD.
thank you for the information

Quick Reply: Driveshaft / Trackbar / Control Arms Questions