Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" tires again (DuraTrac, Wrangler MT/R, Cooper STT, Nitto, KM2...)

Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 35" tires again (DuraTrac, Wrangler MT/R, Cooper STT, Nitto, KM2...)

I thought I had settled on DuraTrac tires but after doing some more research I'm having second thoughts.

A little background... My JK is my daily driver and I take it off-road about once a month. I'm in Southern California so the terrain tends to be rocky, sandy or gravel. I rarely go rock crawling. Most runs are to get somewhere and are on old mining roads, trails and through washes. I usually see snow only a few times a year. I also tow my Jeep behind my motorhome for about 5,000 to 10,000 miles per year.

I started to have second thoughts about the DuraTracs due to comments about sidewall durability in rocky terrain. I also noticed the Wrangler MT/R in 315/70R17 which I hadn't seen before. Unlike the 35x12.50 version it's a load range D tire with a service rating of 121 which about what I'm looking for. I'm also still open to something like the 35x12.50 Cooper STT TEK3 (load range D, service rating 119) or even the Kumho Road Venture MT (load range D, service rating 121). Last but not least, there's always the BFG KM2.

One thing I have considered is weight. That's another reason I liked the DuraTracs...

DuraTrac: 60 pounds each
MT/R: 68 pounds each
Road Venture MT: 73 pounds each
STT TEK3: 66 pounds each
BFG KM2: 68 pounds each

The DuraTracs are also the least expensive which never hurts.

So, once again I'm soliciting opinions on which tire might suit my needs most closely. My stock tires have about had it so I need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild Country MTXs
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stick with your first thought. Duratracs!!! You won't go wrong.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a huge fan of Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar. They are an excellent DD with serious off roading on weekends tire. If I had to choose another tire, I would prob do BF goodrich KM2 but I am very happy with my MTRs. The sidewalls on the MTRs are strong as hell and that is whey I bought them. I do some pretty serious wheeling or at least serious of the east coast and they have held up great since May when I bought them.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

I have MTR kev's. They are great as a daily driver and awesome off road. I am still pondering about going to the Duratracs after these wear out just to see the difference. Either way, Goodyear has finally stepped up to the plate in true off-road tires.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

The Wild Country MTX is interesting but not really any cheaper than the DuraTracs.

I guess my biggest concern with the DuraTrac would be sidewall strength. We run through chunks of rocks all the time.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tested my Duratracs this weekend in the rocks and was very satisfied. Sharp rocks scarred my wheels up but no problems at all with the sidewalls...

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Duratracs!!!!

Need I say more?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Well... I'd pretty much settled on the DuraTracs but when I went to order them I was told they are on a six week backorder. I'm not sure if my current tires will last that long.

I had a second look at the Cooper STT TEK3 MT tires. They seem to be quite nice but I remember people complaining about them chunking on rocks and being hard to balance.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Default Toyo

I am running 35" Toyo MT Open Countrys and love them. Mine is a daily driver as well but goes off road plenty in pretty much the exact sort of terrain you go. GIve em a look

Quick Reply: 35" tires again (DuraTrac, Wrangler MT/R, Cooper STT, Nitto, KM2...)