Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alignment Question - Differnt Toe?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Question - Differnt Toe?

Last week I installed a 2.5 Coil Lift with adapters and new adj. trackbar and LCA's. I also added new wheels and 35" Duratracs and now I'd like to work on my alignment.

Looking at a report from an alignment shop it shows that my toe is:

Left: 0.5 degrees
Right: .017 degress

Tomorrow I plan on working on the caster myself (Going from 3.9 to 5.5) using WOL's Project-JK Alignment Write Up. I'll also look into getting the toe even on both sides as well....

Anyone know why the left and right toe would be different?

Last edited by sanjosebass; 05-02-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Did you center the axle with the adjustable track bar after the lift installation?

Lifting changes how long the drag link needs to be. Adjusting it will recenter the toe.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Did you center the axle with the adjustable track bar after the lift installation?

Lifting changes how long the drag link needs to be. Adjusting it will recenter the toe.
This I HAVE NOT done. Maybe I'll just let the shop deal with it. Seems like the easy part is making the adjustments, the hard part is making sure you're spot on.

My ESP kicks on every now and again when I take a turn (both right and left) at higher speeds and I am hoping to correct that with an alignment. If it weren't for the ESP I'd be more that happy to be off a bit....
Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sanjosebass
This I HAVE NOT done. Maybe I'll just let the shop deal with it. Seems like the easy part is making the adjustments, the hard part is making sure you're spot on.

My ESP kicks on every now and again when I take a turn (both right and left) at higher speeds and I am hoping to correct that with an alignment. If it weren't for the ESP I'd be more that happy to be off a bit....
I suspected that, but forgot to mention it. That's caused by the drag link being the wrong length now, making the steering wheel off center.

I don't know if an alignment shop will even know about centering the axle with the adjustable track bar.

You may have to make some adjustments before you take it in. The steering wheel has a sensor that detects when it is centered. You may want to bring that up to the alignment technician, too.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-02-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I suspected that, but forgot to mention it. That's caused by the drag link being the wrong length now, making the steering wheel off center.

I don't know if an alignment shop will even know about centering the axle with the adjustable track bar.

You may have to make some adjustments before you take it in. The steering wheel has a sensor that detects when it is centered. You may want to bring that up to the alignment technician, too.
Thanks! - The alignment shop I plan on taking it too is a 4X4 shop and they have an alignment that includes the trackbar and LCA's (uppers too if you have them). Looks like I know what I am doing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sanjosebass
Thanks! - The alignment shop I plan on taking it too is a 4X4 shop and they have an alignment that includes the trackbar and LCA's (uppers too if you have them). Looks like I know what I am doing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys!
Sounds good. Let us know how it pans out.

Quick Reply: Alignment Question - Differnt Toe?