Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon JK Project (airock suspension on 24's etc.)

Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon JK Project (airock suspension on 24's etc.)

Hello All,
This is my first post! YAAAY... i'll try to keep this concise as possible. I bought a 2010 unlimited Rubicon and I. LOVE. IT. I want to modify it but its my everyday driver and don't want to compromise reliability. Ironically, the modifications i want to do, i'm pretty sure scream "future problems". You'll see what i mean in a second...
I was all in for picking out a modest pair of 17' pro-comps on some 35' grapplers, an old man emu 2' inch lift, some xenon flat panel fenders and was ready to call it a day. UNTIL i saw this creation by Marshal Motoart on ebay last night... have a peek - bit.ly/kqfEkW
(can anyone dissect that "custom" suspension for me?)
I know the majority of you just rolled your eyes and keeled over but the moment i saw that drab green paint job with a 10' inch selectable ride height, extreme long arms, 24' inch rims with 38' tires, well... i couldn't fall asleep last night thinking about it.
i spent the day researching reviews for the Airock suspension kit and didnt find a whole lot as of recently (few posts in 08 but thats it). I'm wondering if the Airock Kit is reliable? Keep in mind I've only had the rubicon 4 months but have already done 200 miles worth of off-roading, so its not just an LA, mall crawlin jeep. She's seen some trails.
In a dream world i'd keep the stock wheels and tires to go off-roading and have the Rockstar XD 24's for turning heads. However, the only way i'll go through with putting 24's on my jeep is if i have a selectable ride height. I'm in and out of low parking garages all day and when your in a city, a 6' inch lift just isnt everyday appropriate. So the Airock suspension, on paper seems to solve that problem EXCEPT there are so many moving parts in a air-bag suspension that compared to a regular lift, i'm sure the margin for a issue is greater.
So thats the story... I just love the way it looks and the selectable ride height seems like endless fun but i want to be able to drive 10 miles to work everyday for the next 50,0000 miles without a hiccup... If i go through with this project, do you think it'll be a headache later?
Thanks for your time in advance!

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-04-2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: please do not post direct links to ebay
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed, this should be interesting.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

there is just way too much that can go wrong with the airock system and really, it's more gimmicky than useful.

last year on the rubicon, we showed up at the trailhead at the same time as another group and one of their guys had an airock system. after slowly showing off how cool it was (and i say slowly because it takes time to make adjustments), they let us know that they would be going in front of us because they would be able to run the trail faster. well, it wouldn't be more than a couple miles in before they were blocking the trail due to some kind of a failure in the system. after a lot of work, we managed to get around them and didn't see them again until after we were heading back out the following day. sure enough, they were hot to trot and took off before us and, sure enough again, they ended up blocking the trail on cadilac hill with yet, another failure in the system.

btw - welcome to the forum.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-04-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Former Member

Why would you not stick with a proven suspension system? IMO there is just too much stuff that can go wrong with a Air kit.

Last edited by Bustabizz; 05-04-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked the "idea" of adjustable ride height for DD kids wife parking garage etc, but i avoid it due to the stated problems above. Air ride is fine and worderful on paved roads. If it fails there not that big of a deal. if it fails on a trial your easily stranded with low ground clearance. I have seen them to adjust the softness of the suspension on offroad trucks but they did not use them to adjust height.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bustabizz
Why would you not stick with a proven suspension system? IMO there is just too much stuff that can go wrong with a Air kit.
This.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

THANK YOU everyone for the input and Thanks WayOfLife for the greeting. I look forward to meeting up in the near future.
Ya, you guys pretty much confirmed my suspicion. I guess i'll go with a standard lift instead and maybe a more reasonable set of wheels... I found out that the Marshal Motoart jeep has had two or three different owners already. With only 17,000 miles and all that money put into it I can only think the "custom" suspension is the cause for the owners to sell it.
Has anyone had work done at four wheel performance center? I was thinking of taking the JK to the Newport location off the 55 to have some work done.
Cant wait to post pictures!
I think i'm going to make it pretty close to this one.
modifiedcars.com/cars/25362/modified-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-2008-pictures(are rockstar xd's really crappy wheels or do they just have a lot of haters? i know there not "true jeepin" wheels but they look siiiick. if i bought them the first order of business would be to take the star center cap off).

Last edited by Moochie; 05-04-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Please, no clickable links to non sponsors.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, Teraflex! Hook a brother up!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

HA!

I seen that Jeep and just KNEW that I had to have it, The president and CEO of my company were in town that day for a visit and they told me.... (your not going to believe this).......go buy it and turn it in on your expense account!

I was shocked but ready to get it done! I was going to drive up there to Dallas from my place here in Galveston but I ended up getting sick. I've been thinking about it a great deal and I believe I have already came to the same conclusion.... to many things to go wrong with it!

Quick Reply: Rubicon JK Project (airock suspension on 24's etc.)