Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

new tires = the shakes at 65+

Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires = the shakes at 65+

Went from 33" to 35" KM2s and now when I hit 65+ the whole jeep vibrates/shakes. I had the tires rebalanced at a different shop, but it did not fix the problem. One other strange thing is that it doesn't always do it. Seems like two tires have to be in sequence for it to happen. I have tried rotating the tires and have one by one put them on the spare rack but nothing seems to change or help.

Any suggestions on what else this could be?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Did you happen to change rims with the tire change?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

no, same rims
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you buy used tires??
Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

no, brand new tires
Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm by no means an expert at anything, definately sounds like some type of frequency harmonic of either the tire/wheel assembly or the suspension. Keep in mind you have added a larger rotating mass to the Jeep. So the problem may lie in a loose suspension part as well. I'm not sure how to confirm, but the actual uniformity (aka run-out) of the tire might have a part in it as well.

Not sure if that helps out all, just me thinking out loud trying to help you out. Good luck in your diagnosis.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
I'm by no means an expert at anything, definately sounds like some type of frequency harmonic of either the tire/wheel assembly or the suspension. Keep in mind you have added a larger rotating mass to the Jeep. So the problem may lie in a loose suspension part as well. I'm not sure how to confirm, but the actual uniformity (aka run-out) of the tire might have a part in it as well.

Not sure if that helps out all, just me thinking out loud trying to help you out. Good luck in your diagnosis.
Thanks

I checked all the suspension components and they seem fine. Im convinced its an unbalanced tire, but I dont want to pay yet another shop just find out it rides the same.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by landc2
Thanks

I checked all the suspension components and they seem fine. Im convinced its an unbalanced tire, but I dont want to pay yet another shop just find out it rides the same.
See if they'll road-force balance them. Seems to work a bit better on mine than the standard variety.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

is it a really bad shake or is it just vibration? because i get a vibration in my vehicle with my km2 35x12.5x17 when going that fast and its just from the tires.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A single defective tire possibly?

If you're rotating the tires, maybe one is bad and you just haven't got it off the vehicle yet?

KM/2's are a good quality tire, so the probability of getting a bad one is fairly small.

What about swapping your front tires with a buddy who also runs 35's? See if either of you get the vibration problems...

Quick Reply: new tires = the shakes at 65+