Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tint Question

Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Question

I Believe the stock tint is 20%. I'd like to see some photos of rigs w all the windows with the same tint and some with somewhere around 30-35% tint. I'm leaning towards tinting them, but probably a little lighter. Might do the front two and the windshield around 30%. Thanks fellas
Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure on the tint, but I will throw this out there. Wheeling at night with tinted windows SUCKS...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Driving in 100+ degree heat without tint really sucks too.

FYI, there was a thread a few months ago regarding stock tint and tinting the other windows. Had pictures.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool I wouldn't go darker than 20 or lighter than 35

Almost everyone agrees that the stock hard top tint is 20%. On another forum someone said that it metered at 21%. If you get a Bestop Soft top aftermarket with tint it is 31%. Lower the number the darker of course.

I've got mine tinted 23%,which is a weird percentage. Normally you see 15, 20 and 35% as the common options. I wanted to go 30 but that was the best the guy could do (besides 35). Now I wish I would have gone 35% though it isn't as good of a look, and doesn't offer the same privacy. There are countless people who wish they would have gone dark after getting 35 on forums. I'm probably damb near the only one who says that I would go lighter.

Basically this is how I would explain what the percents are like. In the sun 20% your going to have to almost put your nose on the glass to see clearly what is in the Jeep, but will be able to see an outline. People will be able to see an outline of you driving but will not really be able to see your face. You can stand on one side and see through the other side a bit. At night your not going to be able to hardly see in at all. If you go to a dealership at night and try to look into a tinted Jeep that is what it is. 35% is really mild. Almost to the point of not being noticeable. People will be able to walk past your Jeep and see what is in there. They will be able to see your face and recognize you driving by. I'm not really sure what it is like at night.

If you do a Google search for like "35% tint" you can then hit an "images" link (at the very top of the page) to see a bunch of pictures quick of what that percent looks like vs just getting text links.

23% looks great but I have some issues with it. Backing up at night sucks if there aren't lights around. It basically cancels out the stock back up lights on the break lights. And the other issue is that it makes the windows more reflective to light, and act like mirrors. It is sort of like when you have a shiny black TV screen (or monitor), when the TV is turned off you can see stuff reflecting.So during the day I see the silver AC ring ghosted in my driver side window right over the side view mirror. At night it is much worse with the instrument panel reflecting on the window, and over my view of the mirror. Now the rear view mirror in either position gets the tail gate ghosted over my view. While it is drivable it is annoying.

Last edited by Rooster76; 04-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I may just run it at 30%. Im with you and want to be able to see at night but still want a little privacy. That seems to be the best of both.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NJBlackBetty
I may just run it at 30%. Im with you and want to be able to see at night but still want a little privacy. That seems to be the best of both.
Please post a picture of it at 30

I'm not so much going for privacy as trying to keep the temp down in the summer...

Wish they still offed a factory tan soft top option

Matthew
Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

20% is light, 15% is where I like mine to be in FL. 5% is limo tint and 15% is what came stock on mine and is what comes stock on rear windows in mini vans.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought ours came 20% .I like the look of it but I think it looks too dark 20% all the way around on a black JKU. If anyone had pics I'd love to see them posted.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought stock softop was 31% and hardtop was 20%?

Our state doesn't allow for any tinting on the front windows or windshield. I've tinted 50% on the front and not been cited however.

I've never had problems night wheeling with tinted windows so 20% is probably fine.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys. I am a police officer and I have a tint meter. I also have a brand new Rubi with soft top. I will meter mine first chance I get and post the results.

Quick Reply: Tint Question