Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep wants to stall randomly

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep wants to stall randomly

I've got a six speed and randomly while stopped (in neutral), the jeep will try to stall, and once it hits 3-4 rpms it shoots back up to 6 and then repeats itself. It eventually stalls. This has happened 3 times now at random. I had the dealer take a look at it and said my throttle body needed to be cleaned. Got it cleaned and two weeks later it happened. I attached a video link for youtube. This is really frustrating, any ideas on why it is doing this?

IMG_0846.MOV - YouTube
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Been to the dealership TWICE over this issue and they said they can't help me, "cant find anything wrong". what do I do next? any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Any Hanse you were on an incline front facing down when this occurred? This happened to me with about 1/4 tank left. Vehicle was parked running while watching some other Jeeps come thorough Broken Arrow in AZ and when I went to get back in it had stalled and would not start again. Apparently, the gas tank in my 2011 runs length wise down the passenger side of the vehicle not across the back. Since I was facing down the incline the gas ran to the front of the tank and the fuel pump is at the rear. This might explain why the dealer didn't find anything wrong. I no longer hit a trail with out filling up first and carry a full 5 gallon gas can with me. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Devil Dog JK
Any Hanse you were on an incline front facing down when this occurred? This happened to me with about 1/4 tank left. Vehicle was parked running while watching some other Jeeps come thorough Broken Arrow in AZ and when I went to get back in it had stalled and would not start again. Apparently, the gas tank in my 2011 runs length wise down the passenger side of the vehicle not across the back. Since I was facing down the incline the gas ran to the front of the tank and the fuel pump is at the rear. This might explain why the dealer didn't find anything wrong. I no longer hit a trail with out filling up first and carry a full 5 gallon gas can with me. Hope this helps.
Its actually only been happening on the street on level ground, mines a 2010. Gas tank wasn't close to being empty the times it happened. I'm at a loss. I think im just going to call the service manager and explain the situation. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Just came back from the dealership for the third time and the dealership can not "verify" the issue even when I present them video. So my choices are..... go to a different dealership? troubleshoot myself? If the Jeep randomly fluctuates its RPMs from 600 to 300 while stopped and in neutral what could it be? fuel pump? oxygen sensor?

Quick Reply: Jeep wants to stall randomly