Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can I fix my non working front stock rubicon locker? *see pic*

Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I fix my non working front stock rubicon locker? *see pic*

[ATTACH=CONFIClick image for larger version

Name:	jeep diff.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	312173G]312173[/ATTACH]

This is a pic of my front locker not engaged. I have it wired direct 12volt. When you hit the electric, that thin plate that the RED arrows are pointing at slides too the left toward the ring gear. It looks like its all the way over when engaged, but its not quite touching, but its NOT locked, however, if I take a small screwdriver and push the plate over ever so slightly, it locks up tight. (the green arrows point toward where the plate goes upoun electric engagement)

I have full voltage at locker. I played with someone else's working locker on a bench, and we put it down to 5 vlots and it still worked, so its not an electrical issue. It's just not stroking far enough. It would be hard to homebrew, but somebody could make a small 1/8" spacer that fits in there and it would fix the problem (I think).

Anybody dealt with this? Assuming the magnet/plunger is bad, anybody ever find a source to buy one?

Thanks for any and all input! Ask any questions, I will answer if I can!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Question, was it disassembled? If so it may just not have been assembled correctly. See the link below. There are cases where the plunger was giving problems, thus not engaging the locker. Or like you mentioned, the part may just be bad and needs replacing...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...oblems-213780/

Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing happened to my rear locker. From how it looks the bearing that the electromagnet rides on was destroyed and when you give it voltage it actually moves itself away from the plate it is supposed to push. I contacted Dana axle and GKN (who actually makes this locker) for parts but to no avail. You have to get the whole carrier from mopar.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldaman
Question, was it disassembled?
I have owned it since last fall, and the locker worked when I bought it, but just stopped. I have Never pulled the cover till now. So no, no disassembly that I know of.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
My buddy is a jeep tech and he is sitting here drinking with me and said that the bearing is toast
Does he see any way to repair it?

Quick Reply: Can I fix my non working front stock rubicon locker? *see pic*