Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sub Zero Temp / jeep outside

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Zero Temp / jeep outside

I'm sure there is a large portion of us being effected by this severe cold weather in the north / north east. My concern is that I'm away from my Jeep right now and its sitting outside. It will remain outside until this weekend when I return… Will anything happen to it? It has the stock antifreeze in it, and I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I've never experienced temps this cold and have never had to deal with a car in these temps. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by delsol5
I'm sure there is a large portion of us being effected by this severe cold weather in the north / north east. My concern is that I'm away from my Jeep right now and its sitting outside. It will remain outside until this weekend when I return… Will anything happen to it? It has the stock antifreeze in it, and I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I've never experienced temps this cold and have never had to deal with a car in these temps. Any ideas or suggestions?
Plugging in the block heater is a good idea and allowing it to warm up for 10mins before driving it. Go easy on it too until full temps
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol5
Hope you have low-temp washer fluid and a strong battery. But I wouldn't worry about it.

As mentioned, when you do start it, let it war for a few minutes but then drive off gently. Idling warms the engine but not the diffs, tires, steering, brakes, etc etc.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I'm hoping it thaws out wed-fri when it's supposed to warm into the upper 30's. That sounds ridiculous I know.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries. It was -60F with windchill here today both Jeeps were a bit stiff at first but loosened up once we got going.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

My '08 JK has sat all night in -22°F lately, and it started in the morning just fine.
There was wind involved, but it matters not to an inanimate object once ambient temperature is reached.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

nope don't worry all of us have vehicles and in this cold ! just start it warm it and go block heater helps in sub temps in my estimation with alum motor in 3.6
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
No worries. It was -60F with windchill here today both Jeeps were a bit stiff at first but loosened up once we got going.
Mine is stiff when it's 30-40f. I couldn't imagine how it would react in -60. Hell I wouldn't react. I don't know how y'all do it. 30-40 here is too cold for me.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default ETC warning light - due to cold?

Didnt have a problem starting my '12 Rubi tonite, but after leaving a friend's driveway I noticed both the ETC (electronic throttle control) warning light and ESC lights were on and I couldn't get it over 20 mph! It was idling like crap, so I limped into the closest service station. Let it idle for a few minutes and double-checked the book to research the problem. Restarted the Jeep twice and the lights went out and all seemed to be fine since. Not sure if it's related to the cold - it's now -18 air temp, but hopefully all will be ok in the morning. Anyone experienced that???
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

I had basically the same problem here this morning in pa, but my dash lights still haven't gone out and still idles bad at low speed/stop signs?? Limped it home. Was on here just now trying to research the problem. I think it was about -8f when it happened........it's a 2012 2dr jk rubicon.

Quick Reply: Sub Zero Temp / jeep outside