Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering issues, any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issues, any thoughts?

So when I bought my 2013 JKU it immediately had steering issues. It was pulling to the right the minute we left the dealership with it. After a few days, I took it back to them and they did a bunch of different tests to narrow down the possibilities. They decided that there were a batch of 13's with bad steering boxes installed that were all having the same issue. Well, they replaced it with a new one and the problem seemed to go away the best I could tell. Now I'm down the road with just under 10k miles on it, a 4" lift and 36" Toyo MT's and I'm dealing with the steering pull to the right once again. I've tried adjusting the control arms and I've had it aligned 3 times and they say it's pretty dead on. I've also moved the tires around and also let air out of the driver side tires to see it would make a difference. I've had people tell me that the toyo's are known fro pulling t other right but I'm just not sure I believe it. If the tire issue is in fact true, then maybe I need to adjust the control arms more to compensate for the tire pull. I'm also running a bilstein dual steering dampener. It seems to be a little better but still pulls steady to the right. Now I'm thinking I might ought to find a quality heavy duty aftermarket steering box. Anybody here have any ideas or suggestions about steering boxes for the JK's or information to any of the other things I've mentioned? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take off the stabilizer and go for a drive. If the alignment is good, it will drive dead straight. Gas charged steering stabilizers will always have a tendency to pull right (with the exception of that fancy fox through-shaft dealy). Honestly, I tell everyone to just run a stock stabilizer. Its going to be just as good as any other stabilizer on the market.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D_engel
Take off the stabilizer and go for a drive. If the alignment is good, it will drive dead straight. Gas charged steering stabilizers will always have a tendency to pull right (with the exception of that fancy fox through-shaft dealy). Honestly, I tell everyone to just run a stock stabilizer. Its going to be just as good as any other stabilizer on the market.

Do you think this is true even with a dual stabilizer setup? I debated to the FOX ATS but ended up with the bilstien to save a few bucks. I guess I can pull them loose for a drive. I might just end up with the FOX that I wanted anyways. Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed that you were running dual stabilizers. Disregard my last post.

Sorry
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I put on my Toyo MT's mine also drifted (not sure I'd call it a pull) to the right. I also read online (it must be true) on quite a few message boards that the Toyo MT's are known for this. What I found interesting was that it seamed several brands were known to drift one way or the other. Had mine on for about 10k now and I couldn't tell you whether it has gone away or if I just got used to it. Tire wear is even and shows no evidence of any issues.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Have you tried swapping out the tires for a different brand to see if it still pulls?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Could just be the crown of the road. Most of the time they adjust for this on the alignment though. It's real hard to find a flat road.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by meep97
Have you tried swapping out the tires for a different brand to see if it still pulls?
No swapping tires. I don't have any buddies with large jeep tires and it's too expensive to buy another set in hopes it would fix it. I think I'll just lower air pressure enough to compensate for it. Possibly add one turn to the passenger side control arms and re-align.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKUon37s
Could just be the crown of the road. Most of the time they adjust for this on the alignment though. It's real hard to find a flat road.
No joke about the roads around here and the minute you find a flat one, the wind will push you all over the place!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest keeping the crown of the road in mind. I used to work at a tire shop and our alignment guy would do his alignment, go for a ride on a few different roads and come back in to adjust for the crown. They almost always pulled right with the alignment specs dead on. The road is made for water to run off to the right, it makes sense that a vehicle will wander to the right as well.

Quick Reply: Steering issues, any thoughts?