Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

When you wash it...

Old 01-24-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When you wash it...

What all products do you guys use when you wash your JK?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

- Any decent carwash soap for the body (I use Meguiar's)
- Invisible Glass for all windows
- Mequiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer for all interior hard surfaces
- Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Foam
- Turtle Wax Ice liquid wax for all metal and plastic trim (doesn't leave white residue)
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahahahaha I use dish washing soap about 3 times a year!!! Lol but I do use that orange one Meguiar
Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Adam's Polished products.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of the shampoos by Chemical Guys get the job done.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a lot of stuff that's on-sale or generic. I detailed cars for a job, a long time ago. All my products/methods are based on that experience. All but the wax and leather cleaner can be found at Home Depot, in bulk, for cheap.

Carwash soap - whatever is on sale.
Simple Green - all purpose cleaner/degreaser.
Sprayaway Glass cleaner - no ammonia, so is safe for tinted windows.
Leather cleaner "soap" - Lexol works good (pH-neutral)
Caranauba wax - Mother's is cheap, plentiful, no petroleum distillates.

No tire shine, or dressings, for me, ever. If I'm going to cause Salmon to have diahrrea, I don't want to feed them toxic silicone too.

For a simple wash, the Jeep gets nailed with a spray bottle of diluted simple green - bumpers, wheels/tires, windshield, visible undercarriage, and any bug splatter. Blow it all out with the pressure washer. Then, soap up the wash mitt, hand-wash, using a separate wash mitt for tires/wheels/bumpers/fenders, hitting the door jambs along the way. Rinse with pressure washer. Squeegee to dry, follow up with a cotton towel for missed spots and to wipe down door seals, jambs.

Then, a wet washcloth sprayed with a little bit of Lexol to wipe down the interior plastics lifts all the fingerprints, hand oils, etc. Hit the windows with Sprayaway. Vacuum vigorously, and then I'm done.

Detailing gets a little more crazy, more dwell time on the undercarriage, fender wells, engine, jambs, etc. I'll also clay the exterior after washing. If the interior is a pit, I'll blow out the seats/carpet/nooks with an air chuck, then do the washcloth process followed by vacumming. I follow up with an exterior hand-wax with the carnauba wax.

Start to finish a wash takes about 30 minutes, a full detail maybe 2-2.5 hours depending on if I have to pull out the air chuck or not.

It becomes "redneck clean" which means really clean, but without froofy and expensive products or makeup (detail spray). Where I live, the sun doesn't eat plastics, and I garage my vehicles, so all that stuff stays black. When I'm done, the Jeep looks like it rolled off the showroom floor for minimal effort and expense (unless you count the expense of the pressure washer and compressor.

When the time comes to sell, if ever, I'll rent an orbital buffer and cut/buff the paint. Factory finishes plain suck, so going easy on them without buffing is the best strategy to longevity.

Hopefully that helps. TMI?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I use a lot of stuff that's on-sale or generic. I detailed cars for a job, a long time ago. All my products/methods are based on that experience. All but the wax and leather cleaner can be found at Home Depot, in bulk, for cheap.

Carwash soap - whatever is on sale.
Simple Green - all purpose cleaner/degreaser.
Sprayaway Glass cleaner - no ammonia, so is safe for tinted windows.
Leather cleaner "soap" - Lexol works good (pH-neutral)
Caranauba wax - Mother's is cheap, plentiful, no petroleum distillates.

No tire shine, or dressings, for me, ever. If I'm going to cause Salmon to have diahrrea, I don't want to feed them toxic silicone too.

For a simple wash, the Jeep gets nailed with a spray bottle of diluted simple green - bumpers, wheels/tires, windshield, visible undercarriage, and any bug splatter. Blow it all out with the pressure washer. Then, soap up the wash mitt, hand-wash, using a separate wash mitt for tires/wheels/bumpers/fenders, hitting the door jambs along the way. Rinse with pressure washer. Squeegee to dry, follow up with a cotton towel for missed spots and to wipe down door seals, jambs.

Then, a wet washcloth sprayed with a little bit of Lexol to wipe down the interior plastics lifts all the fingerprints, hand oils, etc. Hit the windows with Sprayaway. Vacuum vigorously, and then I'm done.

Detailing gets a little more crazy, more dwell time on the undercarriage, fender wells, engine, jambs, etc. I'll also clay the exterior after washing. If the interior is a pit, I'll blow out the seats/carpet/nooks with an air chuck, then do the washcloth process followed by vacumming. I follow up with an exterior hand-wax with the carnauba wax.

Start to finish a wash takes about 30 minutes, a full detail maybe 2-2.5 hours depending on if I have to pull out the air chuck or not.

It becomes "redneck clean" which means really clean, but without froofy and expensive products or makeup (detail spray). Where I live, the sun doesn't eat plastics, and I garage my vehicles, so all that stuff stays black. When I'm done, the Jeep looks like it rolled off the showroom floor for minimal effort and expense (unless you count the expense of the pressure washer and compressor.

When the time comes to sell, if ever, I'll rent an orbital buffer and cut/buff the paint. Factory finishes plain suck, so going easy on them without buffing is the best strategy to longevity.

Hopefully that helps. TMI?
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

IMHO, nothing beats Natures Rain for wash and rinse and for the finished look, Natures Snow a few times a year.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use good ol turtle wax zip wax car wash, I use NU-FINISH scratch doctor, then turtle wax liquid wax. Comes out beautiful

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
I use good ol turtle wax zip wax car wash, I use NU-FINISH scratch doctor, then turtle wax liquid wax. Comes out beautiful Sent from my obama monitoring device
. Same here

Quick Reply: When you wash it...