Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

40 Tire and rim question

Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 Tire and rim question

Going to order 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers and Slabs soon. I can't decide on 17" or 20" rims. I like the look of the 20" better, but I think the 17" will do better off road. Any advice?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A general rule of thumb that is often cited is tire size/2 is a good rim size. However, that doesn't help you! Haha

I doubt at that size there is any conclusive evidence that one rim size performs better off road. There's a ton of side wall either way. I'm sure there a lots of opinions though.

Only actual issues would be greater cost of 20" wheels and tires AND you will be SOL if you blow two tires while wheeling. I doubt any shop would have a spare for a 20".

That said, I think 40s on 20s would look awesome.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good points...Thanks.

I think I am going to go with the 20" so I can go with the wider tire (15.5 compared to 13.5).

Quick Reply: 40 Tire and rim question