Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can someone help me with a leak problem, pictures included...

Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me with a leak problem, pictures included...

Ok, so I have a pretty annoying leak problem and was wondering if anyone has had the experience or could help me out. On the front passenger door there is some sort of weather stripping type material and has somewhat of a sponge feel to it. Well water is slowly absorbed and then drips all over my JKU.

Here is a picture of it. Can I just take a razor and eliminate it all together without any problems? Any help will be much appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140205_144047.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	528960
Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does this periodically. Drips water on my door latch handles. I usually just remove the freedom tops, and reattach them being careful not to over-tighten the long bolts in the back. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times.

Have you tried removing and the-installing?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

I have a soft top so no panels to take off and put back on. I am doing a full plasti-dip this weekend and am nervous that damn paint is going to leak in. I am thinking I am just going to eliminate the sponge-ish thing, put down a thin layer of clear silicone or something, and see what happens.

Originally Posted by sea bass
Mine does this periodically. Drips water on my door latch handles. I usually just remove the freedom tops, and reattach them being careful not to over-tighten the long bolts in the back. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times.

Have you tried removing and the-installing?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my 2011 used to leak on tha handles both sides

traded it in had to place face cloths there when i go out in the rain lol dealer said normal no fix for that lol yeh there was ! called trade !
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar problem last spring when I removed the soft top. The sponge had become folded and crinkled when I reinstalled the soft top. I smoothed out the sponge material and made sure the surface of the soft top frame was clean; then seated the soft top. No more leak....
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Haha I'm not rolling in stacks of cash to trade it in. Especially with the different upgrades I have ''invested'' in it. I will find a fix if I have to silicone the whole damn Jeep shut.

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
traded it in had to place face cloths there when i go out in the rain lol dealer said normal no fix for that lol yeh there was ! called trade !
Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

That may be a problem. I run the Sunrider top back every day when spring hits even if I do not take the top back all the way. I will check the seating to see how that effects it. That would make a lot of sense though because it is sporadic when it leaks and when it doesn't.

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I had a similar problem last spring when I removed the soft top. The sponge had become folded and crinkled when I reinstalled the soft top. I smoothed out the sponge material and made sure the surface of the soft top frame was clean; then seated the soft top. No more leak....

Last edited by Jdavenp3; 02-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same so I just removed it and replaced it with some foam weather stripping I got from the hardware store. Cheap fix, I think it cost me $5.
Good luck
Augi
Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, gonna check it out tomorrow if the weather holds up...

Originally Posted by augichef
Mine did the same so I just removed it and replaced it with some foam weather stripping I got from the hardware store. Cheap fix, I think it cost me $5.
Good luck
Augi

Quick Reply: Can someone help me with a leak problem, pictures included...