Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A High Schooler Student's Build

Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A High Schooler Student's Build

Hey everybody! My name is Spencer and I'm 17 years old living in Lessburg, Ga (Home of Luke Bryan, Buster Posey, and Phillip Phillips ). I'm driving my second jeep and it's an 07 X. I figured I'd just share my practical build thread for other students.

So far all I've done to my stock jeep is upgrade the whole audio system, mostly because I work as a sound guy and jeeps just don't sound good. I installed a Kenwood KDC-X697 HU running 22w RMS, four 6 1/2" Kenwood 3-way components and two 12" NVX DVC 4 ohm running 700w RMS. It sounds good with the soft top on, and off. Total Price: $600 (gosh that's painful to say on an empty tank of gas)

Now since I live in south Georgia the biggest rock around is the curb at the mall, so my terrain consist of dirt, mud, and the Albany sand dunes, oh and theres lots of mud too. I haven't taken my jeep wheeling yet, but it has been raining all week, and that means the dirt roads are mud roads, so some buddies and I are getting together and spending a night riding dirt roads, it should be fun. After I go wheeling tomorrow I'll decide what I want to do first to my jeep. My guess would be a Rough Country 2.5 BB.

Now I understand everyones concern with rough country and body lifts and mods that don't increase articulation, but like I said, theres no need for me to be able to flex, I just need more ground clearance, which means I need bigger tires to raise the diff off the ground. And I am a high school student so money is an issue.

The overall goal for my jeep is for it to look almost stock, just bigger. Sorry I took so long to explain everything, but I figured a proper introduction was necessary. Enjoy
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spencer11496
Hey everybody! My name is Spencer and I'm 17 years old living in Lessburg, Ga (Home of Luke Bryan, Buster Posey, and Phillip Phillips ). I'm driving my second jeep and it's an 07 X. I figured I'd just share my practical build thread for other students.

So far all I've done to my stock jeep is upgrade the whole audio system, mostly because I work as a sound guy and jeeps just don't sound good. I installed a Kenwood KDC-X697 HU running 22w RMS, four 6 1/2" Kenwood 3-way components and two 12" NVX DVC 4 ohm running 700w RMS. It sounds good with the soft top on, and off. Total Price: $600 (gosh that's painful to say on an empty tank of gas)

Now since I live in south Georgia the biggest rock around is the curb at the mall, so my terrain consist of dirt, mud, and the Albany sand dunes, oh and theres lots of mud too. I haven't taken my jeep wheeling yet, but it has been raining all week, and that means the dirt roads are mud roads, so some buddies and I are getting together and spending a night riding dirt roads, it should be fun. After I go wheeling tomorrow I'll decide what I want to do first to my jeep. My guess would be a Rough Country 2.5 BB.

Now I understand everyones concern with rough country and body lifts and mods that don't increase articulation, but like I said, theres no need for me to be able to flex, I just need more ground clearance, which means I need bigger tires to raise the diff off the ground. And I am a high school student so money is an issue.

The overall goal for my jeep is for it to look almost stock, just bigger. Sorry I took so long to explain everything, but I figured a proper introduction was necessary. Enjoy

It's good to see someone your age taking an interest in this kind of stuff. The body lift is a good idea, it will allow the bigger tire without disturbing the geometry of the steering. Be careful on the size of tire (go to big and you will be looking at a gear change). There are some good links on various threads that can help you figure out which gear to use, should you need to go that route. Additionally, if you get Spike TV, The PowerNation block on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings has good "how to" shows that can help. Having been in your part of the country, I understand the type of wheeling you do. And I agree with your direction and goal for your project.

Good luck and good wheeling.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the high school thread there's many of us (including me) 😁
Old 02-08-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Alright so after dirt road riding Friday night and heading out to the sand dunes toady I've determined that Lil Red is amazing. Only got bogged down once but i just threw it into 4wd and she crawled right out, and then at the dunes my buddy got stuck in a mud whole that an excavator dug and my baby pulled her out real easily, but i have determined that a lift would be nice.

I ordered a 3" spacer lift from eBay for $100 bucks and I'll be installing it next weekend, hopefully.

Here's some pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	529651Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	529652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	529653Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	529654Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	529655
Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	529657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	529658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	529659Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	529660
Old 02-08-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer11496
I ordered a 3" spacer lift from eBay for $100 bucks and I'll be installing it next weekend, hopefully.
You have read the stickies at the top of this modified area, and done your homework on the various components you might want with a 3" lift, right?

Just a guess, but for $100, nothing comes with that lift except the 3" spacers? I predict a few new threads after install similar to :
Why are my axles off-center?
Why is the steering flighty?

And if you end up flexing it out a bit :
Why did i rip a brakeline off the frame?
Why did my swaybar flip around backwards and cause all this damage?
My driveshaft is slinging grease, what should I do?

Just a heads-up to do more research before slapping on a 3" suspension lift...
Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't have to worry about stretching brake lines if you only install the three inch spacers and keep the stock shocks. On stock shocks you will have very little down travel with the big spacers.

I'd wait and save for a TF 2.5" budget boost or a descent 2.5" spring lift.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The swaybar flip is awesome. I have done it twice
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Good luck on whatever you choose & welcome to the forum.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You have read the stickies at the top of this modified area, and done your homework on the various components you might want with a 3" lift, right?

Just a guess, but for $100, nothing comes with that lift except the 3" spacers? I predict a few new threads after install similar to :
Why are my axles off-center?
Why is the steering flighty?

And if you end up flexing it out a bit :
Why did i rip a brakeline off the frame?
Why did my swaybar flip around backwards and cause all this damage?
My driveshaft is slinging grease, what should I do?

Just a heads-up to do more research before slapping on a 3" suspension lift...
Thanks for the warning, but I have put a 3" kit on a Tj before and I've done all the research for the JK. I won't be doing any flexing and I'm making brake line extension brackets. If my front driveshaft does start to rub I'll worry about that when the time comes and if my rear axle isn't centered then I'll just order the track bar relocation bracket for only $25. Basically I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible because 99% of the time she'll be on the road and the 1% she isn't it'll just be dirt roads and sand dunes. Thanks for the concern though!

Quick Reply: A High Schooler Student's Build