Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

recommended lift?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommended lift?

What would be a great 2.5 suspension lift without geometry issues?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msilver
What would be a great 2.5 suspension lift without geometry issues?
Any amount of lift will change geometry so you would want a fairly complete kit to correct the critical parameters. I think the big 3 for decent handling are: 1-adjustable track bars or brackets to center axles 2- adjustable control arms, uppers,lowers or both to correct caster. 3-resized or adjustable sway bar links to put the sway bar operating angles back where they work best. In my opinion those three things are essential to get handling similar to stock from a lifted jeep. Optional features: - Brake line extensions -shock extenders or longer shock - bump stop extensions These three things will let you safely flex your new suspension to its capability. AEV has a reputation for making good kits that address the major corrections but they are spendy. I like rock krawler stuff

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 02-28-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Do you have a budget you're trying to work within? You could pay at least several thousand for a good quality kit. Or a couple hundred bucks for something pretty low end.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:36 AM
JK Newbie

I am willing to put 1500 toward lift and are changing all control arms really needed with a 2.5 lift. Would like to get a complete kit and do it right the first time.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get away with adjustable lower LCAs to set caster while keeping stock uppers, or vise versa. Just need to create a method to adjust caster my making lowers longer than stock or uppers shorter than stock .
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

What lift would be recommend with LCA's that would within my budget. I have no experience in lifting jeeps so excuse my ignorance.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Lets start with some spec's about your jeep and what you are going to do with it. Fill out your profile when you get a chance.
A 2" lift will require very few other components and still give you a decent ride and clearacne for tires. up to 35" or 37" with some flat fenders and extended bump stops.

Read the stickies at the top of the supsension page and I would recommend you read this thread.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Lets start with some spec's about your jeep and what you are going to do with it. Fill out your profile when you get a chance.
A 2" lift will require very few other components and still give you a decent ride and clearacne for tires. up to 35" or 37" with some flat fenders and extended bump stops.

Read the stickies at the top of the supsension page and I would recommend you read this thread.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
TheDirtman i would like to thank you for excellent write up. as you know i am new to all this and have filled out my profile. i am that 3 to 4 times a year person due to work and funds. i have a better understanding now and feel stupid but ill get over it. lol, live and learn. im simply looking to enjoy mild rock crawling when i can but keep it a daily driver so now time to rethink. thank you again for the education.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go get the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift and upgrade yourself to the Fox shocks that are tuned to the Teraflex lift. You will love it. I just did it.

Had the early Teraflex lift on an 08. Got a 14 and put the updated 2.5 combo on it a couple weeks ago. Incredible daily driver characteristics. I am sure it will be fantastic on the trail as our early Teraflex lift was.

The only thing you need to add is to get a set of the Teraflex 1/2 inch spring retainers for the back springs.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Pylot7, did u have to add anything with to the teraflex lift to get all geometry right? Don't want any drive shaft replacements is why I ask.

Last edited by msilver; 03-01-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: recommended lift?