Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2.5" TeraFlex with 33 or 35?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" TeraFlex with 33 or 35?

Okay so we are getting our new Rubicon Unlimited in a few weeks and planning on MODS and was wondering if you guys could help me out by posting pictures of your JEEP with a teraflex 2.5" lift with 33's and 35 inch tires... Not sure which size to go with... I don't want to get 35's if I am going to have rubbing issues... or if it is going to make my jeep a turd and need to be regeared... It will be a Rubicon so it will have 4.10's. Will I need to regear? But I also don't want the 33's to look too small...

When I try to use the search button all i get for typing "2.5 lift 33 tires" or "2.5 Teraflex" is:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Here is what I want:
TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks
Mickey Thompson SideBiter Wheels 17x9's
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 33x12.50 R17 8-Ply's

Is there any poblems that anyones is having or has heard of with any of these products?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

I was very pleased with my TF BB & 35's, the only rubbing I had was when my factory bump stop fell out of the passenger side rear. For gearing I
m running the stock 4.10's still the rubi runs fine with them if you have a 6 speed, but I picked up a ProComp (Hypertech) programmer and set it to premium and it feels like it did stock.

As for pics, RJ999 has cataloged several in a gallery he created https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/jk-online-gallery-lifts-cataloged-manf-tire-size-30086/ and here's mine with the TF kit and 35's.

Last edited by TwoMileHigh; 01-05-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

GO WITH 35'S!!-odds are, and this is my honest opinion, if you don't, you will regret it. That statement is based on the fact that I have, just about exactly what you're describing, and I cant imagine having smaller tires. The lift and tires will take a toll on some performance, ie.(on road)-and gas mileage. but nothing horrible. The 3.8 is underpowered, there's enough threads on this forum that have determined that, but, "underpowered" is a relative term. I am happy with my Jeep the way it is.....for right now. We're always going to be modding, get used to it.--Go for it, and get yourself out there. You have to pop your proverbeal "cherry". only then will you be able to truly determine what mods you actually need, based on what kind of 4x4ing you do the most of. Just my
Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PIPES2008
GO WITH 35'S!!-odds are, and this is my honest opinion, if you don't, you will regret it. That statement is based on the fact that I have, just about exactly what you're describing, and I cant imagine having smaller tires. The lift and tires will take a toll on some performance, ie.(on road)-and gas mileage. but nothing horrible. The 3.8 is underpowered, there's enough threads on this forum that have determined that, but, "underpowered" is a relative term. I am happy with my Jeep the way it is.....for right now. We're always going to be modding, get used to it.--Go for it, and get yourself out there. You have to pop your proverbeal "cherry". only then will you be able to truly determine what mods you actually need, based on what kind of 4x4ing you do the most of. Just my
I think this is what I'm gonna do...
I like the look of the 35's and I'm not buyin a jeep so I can fly around town and do 0-60 in mach speeds I had an 08 4 door X that never got the chance to be modded due to being totalled out by a drunk... I wheeled it a good bit in the short time that I had it... and can't wait to get back at it...
what is your gas mileage like? Given that you have the exact lift tire size and gearing as I will?

And also... will the TF coils support the weight of a fab fours bumper and powerplant winch? Or am I wasting my money and should be looking into something more HD?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwoMileHigh
I was very pleased with my TF BB & 35's, the only rubbing I had was when my factory bump stop fell out of the passenger side rear. For gearing I
m running the stock 4.10's still the rubi runs fine with them if you have a 6 speed, but I picked up a ProComp (Hypertech) programmer and set it to premium and it feels like it did stock.

As for pics, RJ999 has cataloged several in a gallery he created https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30086 and here's mine with the TF kit and 35's.

Thanks for the link... AWESOME gallery they put together... pretty helpful!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Gas mileage isnt too bad...again a relative term.-About 13-15 around town, and 18-21 freeway. Keep in mind, my mileage has actually increased since new. Believe it or not, this "break-in" period people are talking about, seems to be true. I've read many threads pertaining to an increase in gas mileage as time goes on. Considering I've actually added mods to my Jeep that should make it perform all around much worse, I'm actually noting some improvements. I do alot of stop/go, around town driving, so no matter what I drive, I get shitty mileage. But, on the freeway, its consistently a respectable, 20+mpg.--In regards to a heavy bumper, you may want to call Dave at Northridge 4x4. He is one of the most knowledgeable people i've ever spoken to, and would probably recommend going with the Old Man Emu 2" HD Coils., and maybe a hybrid of the T.F.--I say this bcuz the OME acutally nets closer to 3.5 inches in the front, which should level out the weight of an off-road bumper. I will do this when I add my XHD and winch. The T.F. coils will sag. Dont bother adding a spacer to offset the droop, as this will only be a temporary fix, and will actually make your spring drop further over time, worsening the droop affect. I confirmed this with Dave myself. He recommended replacing the T.F. coils, with OME coils, when I'm ready, and using the T.F. hardware I already have. ie, brake line extenders, bumpstops, trackbar bracket, etc...its a very complete kit.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about going with a 34" tire? Im putting the 2.5" lift on with 305/70-17's. I saw one done with a 4" lift and it looked good. I dont want 33's and I dont want 35's, so its perfect. Just my .02
Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fastlx
How about going with a 34" tire? Im putting the 2.5" lift on with 305/70-17's. I saw one done with a 4" lift and it looked good. I dont want 33's and I dont want 35's, so its perfect. Just my .02
What you've described above, is exactly what I'm running, and I freakin love it. not too big to ever have a rubbing issue, but not too small for any "penis envy"-per my sig, I'm running Goodyear MT-R's--love them!-the rolling diameter is 34.1-as big as some "35's", without the cost, or other issues.-I may go with a 1" body lift. Not for any other reason than, I'm already getting used to jumping into the jeep, and I need to challenge myself more!

Last edited by PIPES2008; 01-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I think the TF 2.5" coil lift is a good choice. It is a little more than the BB, but it accounts for rake and mods. It lifts the Jeep 3" or so. If need be add a 3/4" spacer up front and you are gold.

A 1" body lift will help clear those 35's you know you want.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

TF 2.5" BB and 35 MTRs with xenon narrows and no rub at full flex Auto with 4:10 is good for now saving for 5:13's a 4"lift and 38's it never stops...

new bumper and winch dropped it down about 1/2" trying to figure out what to do about it.

Quick Reply: 2.5" TeraFlex with 33 or 35?