Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Let's see you jack THIS!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's see you jack THIS!!!

What do you with seventeen (17) sheet metal screws and another day off where you don't have anything planned???

Fabricate a de facto anti-theft system for your subwoofer, of course!

Okay, I have been rollin' around topless and doorless for just about a week now, and I am loving it. However, I have always had the nagging and persistent worry about my subwoofer whenever I am away from the JK, so, I took matters into my own hands and did something about it! The pictures follow:

The new "guts" of my subwoofer enclosure...same as before but with the addition of seventeen (17) sheetmetal screws punched right through the box, and then the tub of the JK.

The flip side of what you just saw on top...watch out for that gas tank, oh yeah...and so much for my EVAP canister relocation kit! Ha ha ha ha ha

"Box" seats for this next picture.

All of this to protect my "WMSD" (Weapon of Mass Subsonic Destruction), or, if you prefer: "IBED" (Improvised Bass Explosive Device).

A couple of shots of the finished product. Obviously, there was no further need for the bungee cords that were previously "securing" my box down. Also, I added a couple of 3/4" Carbon-Steel Service Entrance Staples to secure the wire leading down to the amp (and to prevent wire flapping in the wind). I did the whole project for about $5.50 with parts from my local Lowe's.

Now, I know that no system is COMPLETELY foolproof, but I would love to be there to try and see a would-be thief try to lift this thing out of the bed of the Jeep without tearing the whole rear sheetmetal panel off! About the only person who could easily remove this sub is Magneto, Master of Magnetism...but he would definitely have to know what to look for.

I realize this is probably a one off setup, since most of you 2-door cats haven't taken your rear benches out (or if you have...you've filled the ensuing space with something else). BUT, for those of you that DO have an external sub box and worry about it with the top off...here's your answer. Enjoy!

Russ D.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

i got no need for the box but the speaker looks nice just need a screw driver
Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would skip messing with the 17 holding it to the floor, and just remove the 8 holding the sub into the box if I really wanted it. but I understand the need to bolt everything down. I have had many car stereo systems stolen (some worth thousands) and even entire cars. I feel your pain.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Couldn't they just steal your sub by taking the 8 screws out that are holding it in the box with a screwdriver in about 5 minutes? You should swap those eight screws out from a phillips to a TORX head (or something else). (Something most theives wouldn't have readily available)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

What a coincidence! I just fashioned an anti-anti-theft device using 17 screwdriver heads!

Nice work - looks like it'd take a ton of effort to get that thing out of there in usable condition.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I would skip messing with the 17 holding it to the floor, and just remove the 8 holding the sub into the box if I really wanted it. but I understand the need to bolt everything down. I have had many car stereo systems stolen (some worth thousands) and even entire cars. I feel your pain.
Hmm, highly unlikely, BBJ. I also got eight (8) of those screws that splay outwards as you drive them in to secure the sub to the actual box. In other words, once they are in...they don't come out. Now, as I said before...no system is foolproof...but this one is as highly effective as I could make it.

Russ D.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

you should just rig it explode if it get 100 yards from the jeep... that would be fun... you can just leave those screws loose in there...

scrapnel is fun!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

17 screws + 8 expanding screws + MDF / sawzall = missing sub

Although if I was a theif ( which I am not and I hate them) I would carry a cordless drill with me and pack quick change driver/drill bit kit in my pocket. If I ran across that I would just put a drill bit on the end and drill off the heads real fast.

Most theifs want to get in and get gone, so they wouldn't mess with it if it wasn't loose probably. They would likely just look for another car to break into. Many theifs are crackheads, and if they had any power tools would have sold them for crack. I think this will work fine.

Did you do all this because someone stole your backseat?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

So was there a pattern to where you put the screws or was it an exercise in randomness?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
17 screws + 8 expanding screws + MDF / sawzall = missing sub

Although if I was a theif ( which I am not and I hate them) I would carry a cordless drill with me and pack quick change driver/drill bit kit in my pocket. If I ran across that I would just put a drill bit on the end and drill off the heads real fast.

Most theifs want to get in and get gone, so they wouldn't mess with it if it wasn't loose probably. They would likely just look for another car to break into. Many theifs are crackheads, and if they had any power tools would have sold them for crack. I think this will work fine.

Did you do all this because someone stole your backseat?

Naw...I sold my backseat for crack!

Ha ha ha ha...just messin'...I never carry anybody, so I just sold it on Craigslist and actually got a few hundred bones for it, too!

Russ D.

Quick Reply: Let's see you jack THIS!!!