Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

LS series chevy motor

Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS series chevy motor

please dont blaze me , but im a big fan of chevy LS motors , does anyone have , or is anyone thinking about putting an LS motor in their JK , is there any kits for it , i believe the motors are lighter , not by much , than a hemi , they woulld def be more fuel efficient , any one please chime in , thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

I have been thinking the same thing. I'm sure its possible but I havent seen any yet. I will have to keep my eye on this thread.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm sure there's a builder out there who can do the swap, but I'd think part of the fun would be driving it on the street and an LS motor will make it not street legal just about everywhere.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Plus, you'd have to re-do pretty much everything, since the computer wouldn't control any of the gauges anymore.
More hassle than it is worth. If you really need that motor, the H3SUT might fit the bill, just cut the roof off for a Jeep experience.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Not street legal

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
I'm sure there's a builder out there who can do the swap, but I'd think part of the fun would be driving it on the street and an LS motor will make it not street legal just about everywhere.
Why U say it would not b street legal?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by YOGURT
Allot of states now require you to have the same manufactures engine when doing a motor swap Also it has to be the same year or newer.
Yup, this is what I was getting at.

The exceptions would be things like street rods who are emissions exempt due to their age. At that point you can stuff whatever you want under the hood.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

This would be fun and really complicated. I believe with the right amount of time and money it can be done.

Just need a lot of both to get it done.

Gerry
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
If you really need that motor, the H3SUT might fit the bill, just cut the roof off for a Jeep experience.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

I thought long and hard about this swap. I have a 5.3 in my 2005 unlimited now, so not new to that conversion. But, after talking with several people, I decided I wanted to retain a few things, like factory gauges, and cruise. So, I have decided to go with the hemi.
I would live to see a ls3 in one though.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Smart move. I know this doesn't count, but I put a Ford 351 in my CJ and that was alot of work, and it has manual guages and everything. I can't image what it would cost to put a GM engine in a JK. Besides there are a number of install kits for the Hemi in a JK, that include everything, absolutely everything, that you need to stuff it...

Quick Reply: LS series chevy motor