Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Automatic Door UNLOCK Not working

Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Door UNLOCK Not working

I have had my JK for about 3 months now and have just noticed that when I get out of the Jeep after shutting it off, the auto door locks no longer unlock all the doors. I have to manually use the power unlock button. It used to unlock all doors when I simply opened the drivers door upon exit. Anybody heard of this mysteriously changing on its own? What does your Jeep do? And finally, does anybody know how to get it back to auto unlock? I have reprogrammed with the key fob to unlock all doors with a single push of the unlock button on the key fob; however, this has not fixed my problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has never been that way. As far as I know and have seen by snooping and plaing with the dealers heads none do this. I have had my doors apart. There is no electric hook ups at the handel.

You may have been hitting the button on exit with out knowing it. If you take and open your door with it locked you will notice that the handel when pulled un locks your door be cause there is a cut out on it to pull the lock out. But there is no way to have it do them all, unless you have an aftermarket keyless system.

The only time the doors should unluck when stoped is in the event of a wreck. The doors will unlock when the shifter is placed in park/auto, or when the E brake is on/Man. This is due to the CAN Buss. All the computers are talking all the time.

You mabe able to go to dealer and get them to hook up and program ECM to unlock when in park. Who knows I like it the way it is. I just use the keyless remote all the time.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is a way to program the door locks to automatically unlock all other doors when you open the driver's door after engine shutdown. The details on how to do this are in another thread here. I will try to find it and post the thread...

This works, as I mysteriously lost this ability about a week ago. I found the thread referenced above, did the programming steps, and the auto unlock now works.

Edit...Found it... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=door+locks

text excerpt from FireMedicXL in the thread.:

Figured out the DIY method.

- shut the doors and turn the key from "off" to "on" (stop turning the key at the point just before the engine starts). Do this five times. On the fifth time the key should be in the "on" position, push up on the power door lock.

I'm pretty sure this is what I did. All I know is that now when I open the drivers door, all 4 doors unlock. Good luck. It would be nice if there was a chime telling you the code has changed. You won't know if it worked until you go for a drive.

Last edited by Paul R; 06-11-2007 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KC JEEP
I have had my JK for about 3 months now and have just noticed that when I get out of the Jeep after shutting it off, the auto door locks no longer unlock all the doors. I have to manually use the power unlock button. It used to unlock all doors when I simply opened the drivers door upon exit. Anybody heard of this mysteriously changing on its own? What does your Jeep do? And finally, does anybody know how to get it back to auto unlock? I have reprogrammed with the key fob to unlock all doors with a single push of the unlock button on the key fob; however, this has not fixed my problem. Thanks in advance.
I had set mine up the first day I picked it up to unlock upon opening driver or passenger door. Then...I had the infamous stall bug hit and after that, it wouldn't unlock them all again. I reprogrammed it and it has been fine ever since.

Now something mysterioius that did happen to me was a few weeks AFTER the stall bug, my doors stopped auto locking at 20mph. Again, I just reprogrammed it and it has been fine since. I hope it stays this was this time.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NYRacBaller
I had set mine up the first day I picked it up to unlock upon opening driver or passenger door. Then...I had the infamous stall bug hit and after that, it wouldn't unlock them all again. I reprogrammed it and it has been fine ever since.

Now something mysterioius that did happen to me was a few weeks AFTER the stall bug, my doors stopped auto locking at 20mph. Again, I just reprogrammed it and it has been fine since. I hope it stays this was this time.
How did you reset?
Old 01-13-2021, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same problem

I just experienced the exact same problem. Went grocery shopping locked the door with the fab. Everything was fine. Came out. Unlocked the door with the fab - still everything fine

Get home and unload groceries. Everything was fine - doors ALL unlocked at this time.

I hit the lock button fab to head inside and nothing happened. I thought this was strange but wrote it off as a dead battery. Then I remembered I replaced the battery 3 months ago. It should still be fine

So I went back out to look at the jeep after taking the fab apart and re I stalling the batteries as I thought maybe they had a bad connection.. tried to unlock it. Still nothing

Manually unlocked the drithese side Dorr and sat inside for a few min. Then when I exited I noticed all the doors did NOT unlock. Hmmm. Now I know jts NOT the fab. But what could it be? I hit the menu button on my overhead print out and it was still set on auot unlock - yes.

IT SHOULD be auto unlocking . BUT ITS NOT.

IS THERE A KeyLess entry module or is it a fuse...?

Any help.would be greatly appreciated! Also, sorry for typos. Auto correct and on a cell phone for now that's giving me issues

QUOTE=KC JEEP;106717]I have had my JK for about 3 months now and have just noticed that when I get out of the Jeep after shutting it off, the auto door locks no longer unlock all the doors. I have to manually use the power unlock button. It used to unlock all doors when I simply opened the drivers door upon exit. Anybody heard of this mysteriously changing on its own? What does your Jeep do? And finally, does anybody know how to get it back to auto unlock? I have reprogrammed with the key fob to unlock all doors with a single push of the unlock button on the key fob; however, this has not fixed my problem. Thanks
Old 01-14-2021, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Mine does play up occasionally. I lubed the manual switches and cycled the locks 15-20 times slowly and they seem to work ok. Sometimes they would not lock, sometimes not unlocking. The switch lube and FOB battery change has made it work good now - so far. Since the Chev engine install and 10 months off the road the auto lock on first accel does not work for perhaps 10 miles on decel. I don't really care about that but might be good to program it again just in case it affects something else.
I know a guy with a JK Sport with no air, no PW, no PDL no cruise, basic radio and he has no electrical issues. He goes 4 wheeling!! Wishes he had PDL though.
The off topic rant (sorry) If they sold a JL Ruby equipped like that I would buy it with a diesel and just offroad stuff. Wait till the 4XE's are 6-8 years old

Quick Reply: Automatic Door UNLOCK Not working