Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

(Big Bear) Looking for trail suggestions or groups for this weekend? (4/9/16 SAT)

Old 04-07-2016, 06:23 PM
dog
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Big Bear) Looking for trail suggestions or groups for this weekend? (4/9/16 SAT)

Hey all,

I'm a SoCal native (from the beach) but lived in some of the best rock crawling in NM the past few years (Chokecherry Canyon). Now I'm back in CA with my Jeep, and the GF and I are heading to Big Bear this weekend. I understand there's a little snow, and that it might snow (I'm sure only a small amount at night) on Sat or Sun. I'm interested in taking her out because she's never been on a crawl and my jeep (I'm ashamed to say) hasn't seen any rough road for almost 6 months, since I moved home to LA. I'm no stranger to snow so that doesn't bother me, I'm just new to Big Bear crawling/trails!

Looking for something fun and challenging in the 909 but with some bypasses in case we're alone, and I'm not interested in anything too risky. I would like to scare the GF a little with an attempt or two. Maybe a half day maximum, just to get a flavor of the area. Anyone around for a quick trip? Any suggestions for a scenic/fun crawl or trail to play around on?

Much appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited by dog; 04-07-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Gold mountain, John Bull. Maybe start with Gold. Good views off of Gold Mtn too.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 PM
dog
JK Newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at Holcolm but it might be a little tame for our purposes.

Running 37s on a 3". 10K Zeon/Snatches/Straps/etc. I'm no buggy, but i'm plenty banged up so not worried about scratching the paint or denting body panels...

What do you think are the chances I could find some people out (on Gold or Bull) if I just head out there?

I'm a little uneasy about being alone in unfamiliar territory. My CB only reaches so far... haha.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Hey brotha, chances are extremely good you will run into other rigs on the trails up there. Both times I've been there, we actually hooked up with groups while airing down. You should be fine. And keep me posted in the future, maybe we can meet up and hit some trails.

Have fun...
Old 04-07-2016, 09:03 PM
dog
JK Newbie

Hey thanks for the reinforcement! My GF has a cabin up there, and where we live at the beach is only about 2-3 hr drive away! Good odds that I'll be spending some quality time up there in BB this summer! I'll hit you up next time we roll through!

After watching some vids of Gold and Bull, I think we'll hit Bull. My understanding is the gate is the toughest part of the trail, which will give me confidence before I get too deep!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 PM
dog
JK Newbie

What would be the next logical step up from John Bull, difficulty wise?
Old 04-08-2016, 03:28 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

JB only has one or two difficult sections and the main one is the gate keeper. I nice challenge but once through that you have a rock garden or two and you are done.

Holcomb: One major rock garden in the middle of the trail and the South end I believe has another rock garden that is mild but enough to keep those not worthy of the center rock garden out.

White/Gold Mountain-- White mountain is a pretty mild fire road, good warm up if you haven't been there before. Gold mountain has a couple of good waterfalls to climb/descend. Other than that, mild fire road.

Dishpan- one major rock garden with many lines. Watch your wheel placement and you will be fine.

Most people that stay in BB do Holcomb/JB/Dishpan all in one day. It can be a long day but very doable.

If you want a decent run, but don't go alone, Mottino wash would be a great challenge. Lots of lines, easy, mild and wild.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Exactly what he said, we have a cabin up there and go up about once a month to mess around.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

You might consider signing up for Forest Fest put on by Inland Empire 4 Wheel club on Father's Day weekend. Registration is still open and you could meet other Jeepers that enjoy the BB area.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most definitely agree with big bear forest fest. Was a great time I went for my first time in my stock JKUS after only having for about 3 months and I was only able to make it for 1 trail haha. But I went on Horse Thief trail. But yea haven't gone recently only due to me having not putting my lift on yet cuz I still need my tires and I'll be set haha. But yea hit me up in the future if you'd like to go.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: (Big Bear) Looking for trail suggestions or groups for this weekend? (4/9/16 SAT)