Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

California Laws and Info???

Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question California Laws and Info???

There is a possibility that I may relocate to Riverside, CA for work... but I'm currently living in Italy and am really out of the loop when it comes to California emissions, fender regs, tire regs, etc...

What kind of laws/taxes etc... do I need to be aware of and prepare for prior to moving???: thinking:
Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Vehical registration (tags) for my 08 is $300.00 per year and are going up next year. you will have to get a smog check. If you have a used non California emission vehical I think there is a one time fee to register it and all emission control devices that your jeep came with when you bought it must be working. The mods you have done to your rig should be fine. You need to ask a California certified smog tech to be sure. California is taxing everything right now but it should be cheaper than Italy. The off roading in this area is some of the best in the world. Are you in the 173rd airborne by chance?

Last edited by jkpirate; 02-21-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkpirate
Vehical registration (tags) for my 08 is $300.00 per year and are going up next year. you will have to get a smog check. If you have a used non California emission vehical I think there is a one time fee to register it and all emission control devices that your jeep came with when you bought it must be working. The mods you have done to your rig should be fine. You need to ask a California certified smog tech to be sure. California is taxing everything right now but it should be cheaper than Italy. The off roading here is some of the best in the world. Are you in the 173rd airborne by chance?
Thanks for the info... I'm not in the 173rd... but work on the same base as them. I'm a DoD civilian working for AFN if you know what that is.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what AFN is. My son was in the 173rd from 2003 - 2006.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkpirate
I don't know what AFN is. My son was in the 173rd from 2003 - 2006.
AFN is the American Forces Network... we provide radio and television for the troops. I've been here in Italy since Febuary 2006. I'm guessing if your son was in the 173rd from '03-'06 he went downrange to Afghanistan and might have jumped into northern Iraq???
Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

He missed the jump into Iraq. He was deployed up north in Kirkuk. His next deployment was to Afghanistan, His outpost was in Paktika and spent most of the time on the Afghan/Pakistan border.

Last edited by jkpirate; 02-21-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You tires cannot stick out past your fenders...........most cops will not gig ya for it but they can if they want to. Out in Riverside you should have no problems. I hear registration is going to double next year! It sounds like the mods you have done so far should be OK. Where did you buy the JK? Italy or the states? Get on the CA DMV website and get the contact info for a referee location and they will be able to answer your questions in detail. As long as the engine and exhaust mods you have done have a CARB certification they should pass you. Good luck in the Republik of Kalifornia! See you on the trail when ya get here. AFN rocks by the way. I was stationed in Okinawa and mainland Japan for about 2.5 yrs total time as a Marine.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Make sure you have insurance and a front license plate. If you have any auxiliary lighting, it needs to be covered when you are on the road. If you drive with your doors off, make sure you have some mirrors. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sempermarc
You tires cannot stick out past your fenders...........most cops will not gig ya for it but they can if they want to. Out in Riverside you should have no problems. I hear registration is going to double next year! It sounds like the mods you have done so far should be OK. Where did you buy the JK? Italy or the states? Get on the CA DMV website and get the contact info for a referee location and they will be able to answer your questions in detail. As long as the engine and exhaust mods you have done have a CARB certification they should pass you. Good luck in the Republik of Kalifornia! See you on the trail when ya get here. AFN rocks by the way. I was stationed in Okinawa and mainland Japan for about 2.5 yrs total time as a Marine.

I bought my JK in Italy, but through Exchange New Car Sales... so it's American Spec. It just occurred to me that I didn't pay tax when I purchased it... since I'm overseas... but when I register it in the states, I'll probably have to pay the sales tax. :(

Thanks for the info and the kudos on AFN!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1st_Rubicon
I bought my JK in Italy, but through Exchange New Car Sales... so it's American Spec. It just occurred to me that I didn't pay tax when I purchased it... since I'm overseas... but when I register it in the states, I'll probably have to pay the sales tax. :(

Thanks for the info and the kudos on AFN!
Good for you. If you do it this year, you can write off the sales tax on your income tax return next year.
i am not sure if it's going to be tax credit or deduction from the AGI.
Either way, you got the good end on this.
Good luck

Quick Reply: California Laws and Info???