Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Death wobble help near Fontana

Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble help near Fontana

Hi fellas, I'm looking for someone who has went through death wobble that can help me further diagnose the issues. I've went through most of Planmans diagnoses but I think a second opinion would help. I've already replaced worn parts such as the Trackbar with larger hardware, drag link and tie rods but I'm still getting some wobble. Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure your tires are balanced. Mine wobbled awful just because the tires had become unbalanced.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:25 PM
jpn
JK Enthusiast

Do quite a bit of DW fix at the shop....

Check ball joints (jack one side up at a time and put a 4 foot bar under tire pull up and down and feel for play between knuckle and ball joint- upper)
Check bearings (while it's up in air grab tire 3 and 9 and wiggle it quick and short look for looseness)
Check caster
Toe
Check sector shafts for play
Bushing ends on control arm
Track bar ends from play while having g someone steering 10 to 2 quickly
Tire balance

Ball joints play a bigger role in this and we swap these 7 out of 10 times is the issue...

Good luck and don't get frustrated it has to be something obviously and will eventually rear it's up head...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Call Jeeperformance in Yucaipa. Great shop, never had a problem with any work they've done for me.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

After having my tires balanced twice and going through the checklist with no change, I swapped front tires with my buddy (35" tired as well) and the DW is non existent. I need to find a shop that can balance these tires (35" AMP mud terrain). Anyone use 4west in Colton? Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Gomez tire in Fontana can balance them for you. They balanced my 37's and fixed my DW.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilop
After having my tires balanced twice and going through the checklist with no change, I swapped front tires with my buddy (35" tired as well) and the DW is non existent. I need to find a shop that can balance these tires (35" AMP mud terrain). Anyone use 4west in Colton? Thanks for the help guys
When you get your tires balanced have them do a static balance vs a dynamic balance. When I put my ATX Slabs on the weight required for dynamic was stupid but the static was about 2 oz.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got ride of my DW.

Baground: Its my Wife's daily driver for shopping & doctor appointments. I have a 2012 2dr Rubicon with 4.10s. Put a Teraflex Long Arm 3" lift and 35" BFG KM2s on AEV Pintler wheels with 2500 miles on the Jeep in September 2012. At about 6000 miles I felt a slight shimmy and thought ir was tires out of balance as I have chunks missing from the KM2s due to rock crawling. The shimmy got worse and around 1000 miles I started into a moderate wobble after hitting a pothole at speeds over 50mph. The wobble got worse until I had 14000 miles on the Jeep and could not go over 45 MPH or I got extreme DW.

I took my Jeep to a trusted mechanic with fab experience. He spent several hours and the following was determined: stock ball joints loose, upper & lower flex arm bushings loose, track bar bushings loose, tie rod & drag link joint possible loose, TF steering stabilizer blown out, about 3* angle set on axle.

I took a wide swing and ordered the following parts at the Black Friday discount from Northridge 4X4: TF High Steer kit (include HD tie rod & Drag Link with ends), TF Flex Arm bushing kit (didn't need the rear sets so I have extra to use for the front if needed again, TF Ball Joints (returned as they don;t fit 2012 and up Jeeps without grinding the stub axle), full alignment, and about 5* set on the axle.

About $2000 in parts and $1200 in labor and the Jeep drives PERFECT without a steering stabilizer. I have 14,535 miles on the JEEP the DW is gone.

TF sent me a new stabilizer under warranty but it was not installed. I ordered a Fox ATS stabilizer with a Synergy track bar mount from Northridge 4x4 which will be installed when it gets here (hopefully tomorrow).

Northridge & TF have GREAT customer service and accepted the TF ball joints back for a refund as they don't fit the 2012 & up JK.

I can only hope I get more then 15000 miles before I have problems again. My mechanic did tell me he found loose jam nuts on the flex arms, the track bar adjustments were loose, and the axle was 1/4" out of alignment. It was evident the initial installation from a local 4x4 shop that I purchased the TF 3" LA kit from didn't properly tighten the parts which could have contributed to premature wear on the bushings.

I do grease the TF every oil change & checked the flex arm bolts torque.( I never though to check the jam nuts).

Check to see if there is play in your control arm bushings as well. I had over 1/4" of play front to back in my upper & lower flex arms (TF word for control arms).

And, in the future, if I start to feel a shimmy or wobble, I WILL get it checked out; as I can't afford to keep replacing these expensive parts every 15000 miles. I hope this wide swing has fixed the issue properly.

Quick Reply: Death wobble help near Fontana