Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Jeep cranks but wont start.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep cranks but wont start.

My '09 jeep died on the trail today. It cranks but won't start. Could it be the fuel pump? Only 28k.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepItm8
My '09 jeep died on the trail today. It cranks but won't start. Could it be the fuel pump? Only 28k.

Any more information? turned it off then wouldnt crank up? etc.. Did you try unhooking the battery for a few then hooking it back up to clear the computer ? any dash lights? (other than it not being on)

I would try the battery thing then check for codes. see if anything happens.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the Battery check, checked fuses, no codes. Just died no warning as I was crawling up a steep hill.

We are suspecting it to be the fuel pump. In comparing with the other JK's, when key turned on we could hear the fuel pump start up. We don't hear it on mine.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepItm8
Did the Battery check, checked fuses, no codes. Just died no warning as I was crawling up a steep hill.

We are suspecting it to be the fuel pump. In comparing with the other JK's, when key turned on we could hear the fuel pump start up. We don't hear it on mine.

Make sure you have enough fuel, we had a few peeps in the JK with 1/5 to 1/8 tank run out of fuel when at a steep angle because fuel pickup went dry.

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 05-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got me thinking of bringing a can of starter fluid on my outings. Is it hard to put gas in a fuel injected engine (carb easy)?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
Got me thinking of bringing a can of starter fluid on my outings. Is it hard to put gas in a fuel injected engine (carb easy)?
You don't, you get the pump running and vent the system to get rid of the air. There should be a little valve with cap in the fuel line under the hood. If I get a chance I'll try to locate it and take a picture. Starting fluid not good for your engine, use too much and you wipe your oil film and can cause a lot of wear in a short time. It is also not good on seals etc and you need to keep the can out of the sun in a cool (not hot) environment for safety.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

give the fuel tank ancouple of sharp whacks with anhammer handle or similar where u can hit it thru the skid plate . this def works alot of the time to get u running then do not turn it back off . ive done this many times .
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had 3/4 tank. Whacked the tank area several times to no avail. The engine just shut off. No sputter.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently had this issue. The engine would turn over but not start. My battery wasn't grounded well so I added a grounding strap from the negative terimal to a bolt on the alternator and it hasn't happened in weeks. This was after changing the starter.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Junkie

Two fuel filters are used. One is located at the bottom of the fuel pump module. The other is located inside the module. A separate frame mounted fuel filter is not used with any engine.

Both fuel filters are designed for extended service. They do not require normal scheduled maintenance. Filters should only be replaced if a diagnostic procedure indicates to do so.

The fuel pump relay is located in the TPIM (Totally Integrated Power Module).

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 05-12-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Jeep cranks but wont start.