Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

JOHN BULL - Jan. 17

Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up JOHN BULL - Jan. 17

Vince (modestoperandi) and I are going to run the John Bull Trail this Monday (01/17) and anyone is welcome to join us.

Plan: On Monday morning (01/17), we will meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Discovery Center in Big Bear: 40971 North Shore Drive in Big Bear. Please make sure you gas up before you get there, because from here we will go directly to the trail. If anyone wants to get together for breakfast first, let me know and we will arrange something on the south side of the lake where we are spending the night on Sunday.

The trail should take 3 hours, but we will take a break about half way through to enjoy the amazing view from the top of the mountain:

Difficulty: Wells' trail book rates this as: “Difficult. Large boulders and steep climbs. Lockers and very high ground clearance required. Not for stock SUVs…Considered the toughest trail in the Big Bear area.” Vince and I have run this once before and it really is a fun, but difficult trail. Although, he got his completely stock Rubicon through, we both felt at the end that it was just too much work. This time, he is leaving his JK at home, and driving my Jeep (Rubi Unlimited with 37’s) while I spot.

Here’s a brief video from our last run (we missed filming most of the tough stuff – it is weird how you forget to film when you’re scared): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d21qDlyxQuw, and some photos: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6164, but I’m sure you’ll find much better ones on the web.

Weather: Monday is forecasted to be Mostly Sunny with a High of 63 and a Low of 32.

Let me know if you’d like to come along. We really don't want to run it alone, (although it would not be the first time).

Who's Going:
CALIJK
modestoperandi
wazupfred

Last edited by CALIJK; 01-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Reminder: State Route 330 Closed

Not sure if everyone is aware State Route 330 is closed. The closure could possibly be for two years. The road collapsed on Dec. 20 at the 35-mile marker of Highway 330, just about 6 miles north of Highland Avenue up to Running Springs. Highway 38 through Redlands and Highway 18 through Victorville are open.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKOperator
Not sure if everyone is aware State Route 330 is closed. The closure could possibly be for two years. The road collapsed on Dec. 20 at the 35-mile marker of Highway 330, just about 6 miles north of Highland Avenue up to Running Springs. Highway 38 through Redlands and Highway 18 through Victorville are open.
Thanks for the reminder. It is actually pretty easy to get up there using the 18 from either the south or north side of the mountain.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problem. I prefer the 38 through Redlands, but I'm sure any of those alternate routes will be a little more congested these days.

Wish I could join you, but I have to finish up some projects.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll see you at Discovery Center

Freddie
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

How's the snow up there right now? I'm sure there will be a lot of winching going on. Have fun and be safe. Take lots of pictures!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wazupfred
I'll see you at Discovery Center

Freddie
SWEET! Freddie, I knew I could count on you. See you there!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thrshr01
How's the snow up there right now? I'm sure there will be a lot of winching going on. Have fun and be safe. Take lots of pictures!
No idea about snow right now at Big Bear - Vince and I are camping at Calico and it feels like Summer - amazing night - going to try Gatekeeper tomorrow morning - get home for date night tomorrow, then on to John Bull.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALIJK

SWEET! Freddie, I knew I could count on you. See you there!
I'm bringing the family along hopefully we get done early enough for my daughter and I can play in the snow after John Bull.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wazupfred
I'm bringing the family along hopefully we get done early enough for my daughter and I can play in the snow after John Bull.
No worries - we will have plenty of time for playing in the snow. See you there.