Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Lift Install RK 3.5 Max Travel

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Install RK 3.5 Max Travel

All parts are almost in. I am thinking of March 2nd starting at 8am. Anyone interested in learning or helping out let me know.

There are two concerns I have.
1) The Welds. I dont have a welder for the brackets. They need to be 1/4 inch fillet welds. Anyone with experience able to help me out? <-- Tizzy you were right.

2) The Jam Nuts. I dont have a means to tighen these to 250-300 ft lbs . Does anyone have a good suggestion on doing this?

Cheers
Rob
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

As for the torque, ask adavance auto or carquest or someone if they have a torque multiplier and use and "impact" crowsfoot (still have to hold it still to tighten it). Or just you and a buddy both grab a wrench and apply 150 lbs of force, use the double wrench method.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Best of luck with your install! I run this kit myself (installed by a shop) and this is a great setup, you will love it. A word of warning though, there is quite a bit of cutting and welding involved, so make sure you have the right equipment / tools / skill (or good buddies) if you want to DIY.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I've got all the parts measured for the lengths RK mentions. Y'all gunna make me tackle this alone?

Still need to pick up some tools. Looks like a decent amount of work but should go quick I think.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Paws
Well, I've got all the parts measured for the lengths RK mentions. Y'all gunna make me tackle this alone?

Still need to pick up some tools. Looks like a decent amount of work but should go quick I think.
I'd love to come over and help... But i think mapquest says I won't be there for 22 more hours if I don't stop for gas or get lost.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Date and I'm there
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be happy to come and lend a hand. The weekend of March 1-3 doesn't work for me (TDS), but most any other time is good.

Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DesertJeep

I'll be happy to come and lend a hand. The weekend of March 1-3 doesn't work for me (TDS), but most any other time is good.

Bill
2nd that as well
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the same system coming. Is there anything else you needed that didn't come with the kit other than the bump stops and shocks. I was reading the install instructions online and it made it sound like there was somthing else needed to install the steering stabilizer flip.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigSteve
I have the same system coming. Is there anything else you needed that didn't come with the kit other than the bump stops and shocks. I was reading the install instructions online and it made it sound like there was somthing else needed to install the steering stabilizer flip.
The instruction that come with the Kit are a bit more detailed than the one on the site. Not sure why.

Yes, you will need a new Inner Drag Link end, I got mine from Jeep for $70 :(. This is in the detailed instructions that came with the kit. the Drag link will be flipped on top of the passenger side steering knuckle with the new end link.

Steering Stabelizer Flip will require a spacer and new clamps if you orderend the TieRod

Metal drill bits in the following sizes,
Spring Retainers 5/16
Rear Sway Relocation 7/16
Steering Knuckle 7/8
Trackbar 1/2
RK Control Arm Drill out to 9/16 for the bolt upgrade kit. Not sure I want to tear into my new RK CAs like that yet. 9/16 Drill Bit is also hard to find.

I also picked up some adjustable wrenches that can fit up to 2 inches. The upper control arms have 1 1/4" and lower are 1 1/2". I dont have half inch drive crows feet for those sizes although im trying to find some on eBay and or Amazon. Cant find any local shops selling a set :(. These are required to be BUBBA TIGHT. My Torque wrench only goes to 150 so BUBBA TIGHT will have to do.

Sawzall or or hacksaw for cutting out the passenger side control arm bolt - they provide an extra bolt inside the kit.

This kit also require 1/4 inch fillet welds which I will do at a later time. Road use its fine but need to get it welded sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Paws; 02-19-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift Install RK 3.5 Max Travel