Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Need some advice from all the Regeared heads out there...

Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from all the Regeared heads out there...

Hey guys and doll,

I have a 2010 JK Rubi Unlimited and I got a wheel set a bit ago for it (KMC RS 20X8.5" on Nitto Mud Grapplers 33"X20"X12.5") and since then... it's been a bit sluggish from all the new weight on its feet.

I know I should be getting regeared for my set up, I am leaning toward a 4.88 setup as I mainly use the JK around town and go snowboarding in the winters (Big Bear mainly) and I would like some of my power back. (I hear it might also help my MPG but that's not that big of a concern)

I talked to 4WheelParts and I was quoted $1600 installed for front and rear with the new computer so my car knows what's going on.

Is this too high a price?

Any places you might be able to refer me to?

I found this on Craigslist but I am not sure about going to them as I haven't heard of them... (JEEP O|||||||O RE GEAR 4.88 5.13 TOTAL OUT THE DOOR SAME DAY SERVICE)

Thanks for any help,
Igor
Old 08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems a bit high. Off Road Evolution (Fullerton) does it for $999 but they need your Jeep for 2 days. I went to Rebel Offroad (Lake Forest) since I needed my Jeep back the same day, $150 more than ORE. Only took a couple of hours.

Add $160 for an AEV Procal to set your wheel size, gear ratio, etc. Might also want to look into replacing the axle seals as I've read people started to get leaks after regearing, me included, but it's a minor leak.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd sell your wheels and rims to someone with an Escalade. Use that money to get 33 " tires with 16" rims and get a pro cal to recalibrate your computer and call it a day. Even money.

Save the money for more snow boarding.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Regarding the regear, yea that is a bit expensive. Also you can buy as AEV Pro Cal to readjust your computer after a regear.

I would seek out another shop for a competing price. In your area maybe check out High Ground Fab.

-Scott
Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by onetanjk
I'd sell your wheels and rims to someone with an Escalade.

X2

A stock Rubi tire is about 305/65R17 Which = 32.61 with 4.10's
IMHO, going to 33's isn't a big enough jump to justify spending $1k or more for a regear. But, it's your money.... 4.88 might be your best bet for that tire size, but I think you can get by with stock 4.10's
Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLow
Regarding the regear, yea that is a bit expensive. Also you can buy as AEV Pro Cal to readjust your computer after a regear.

I would seek out another shop for a competing price. In your area maybe check out High Ground Fab.

-Scott
Just had mine done at higher ground. They are awesome! Just don't call until next week they are on the rubicon right now.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had mine done a couple months ago at 4wheelparts for 1225.00 with a superchips flashcal. I also had a coupon for 199.00 install per axle
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you see the other thread on here?? The rwk supply guy on Craigslist has regeared several other members and done a great job. you should SERIOUSLY consider this guy. Or use the evo special. You would be crazy not to take advantage of these offers/ specials.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Had mine done at JPI in Yuciapa, CA. Stan and his guys done awesome work. You will be very happy.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rebel as a team come in and due their re-gear jobs. Have watched these two in action several times. Don't think I have ever seen a two axle gear swap done so fast and efficiently before. They were in and out in less than 3 hrs.

Call 'em, chat with Jason or Gabe, they will set ya up.

4.88's are steep for your tire size but...if you ever go bigger you will be ready.

Quick Reply: Need some advice from all the Regeared heads out there...