Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Possible move to LA area

Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible move to LA area

I am from a very small town in Northern Alabama and I just got a job offer in LA. I am married with a three year old son... And to be honest, kind of apprehensive about moving them to LA.

So can anyone offer up some points to help in this situation? Jeep related or not... Just need some help! lol.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jamantste
I am from a very small town in Northern Alabama and I just got a job offer in LA. I am married with a three year old son... And to be honest, kind of apprehensive about moving them to LA.

So can anyone offer up some points to help in this situation? Jeep related or not... Just need some help! lol.

Are you asking "should I stay or should I go," or are you saying that you ARE coming to LA and would like some advice?

Either way, LA is a big county. There are parts of LA that I wouldn't live if you payed me, and there are other parts that are worth moving for. Do you know where this job is located exactly?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I am a 25 year military man from a small Northern Michigan town. One of my first moves after I was married was from a tiny Michigan town to Boston MA. I had a 1 YO and wife was pretty nervous. We just talked to lots of people and checked out everything thoroughly and everything has worked out fine. We have since moved to New York City, Detroit, and San Francisco and just figure stuff out and make the best out of where ever we are. I figure my kids are getting to see stuff while they are young allowing them to be more open to other ares than I was.

I have been in SF for 5 years and the ship I am on frequents LA/LB area. I don't know it well but there is tons to do out there and you have an awesome SOCAL JK community with just about any terrain you want to tackle available.

Good luck with your decision, the west coast is pretty sweet!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Former Member

Lots of good areas there used to live in Manhattan beach LOVED IT....

Rent is pricey there but depending on where your job is there's go arounds to avoid the 405 etc..

Best question above is where your job is at then I could recommend areas around there...

Congrats its not as bad as people think....I'm in San Diego now but would move back to LA in a heart beat...
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would be working in the Redondo Beach area and career wise it would be dumb not to. I think I have already made up my mind that I am going to take it... Just like hearing different perspectives.

I can't talk about it at work right now, so.... Thanks for the replies already.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Manhattan Beach looks perfect... No commute in LA???? That's heaven right? But man that is some pricey real estate!!!

Is Manhattan Beach cool for little ones?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamantste
I would be working in the Redondo Beach area and career wise it would be dumb not to. I think I have already made up my mind that I am going to take it... Just like hearing different perspectives.

I can't talk about it at work right now, so.... Thanks for the replies already.
Redondo is nice, My mother-in-law is right next door in PV. I in general hate LA, but I might consider living in that area.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Former Member

Yeah Manhattan beach is amazing, Hermosa is good Redondo is good all great for kids....there's a trail that goes from Manhattan to Redondo its wood chips on a jogging trai. Along the green belt used to run 10 miles every morning there...
People are really cool, great beach mentality....Hawthorne is good, Carson on west end is good, there's a whole pocket thats good....

El segundo is not all bad its north of Manhattan beach it wouldn't be a first choice...
North of the power plant past el segundo on coastal area is good....

People watching Hollywood, universal city mall, Venice beach.

The museum row is awesome, the children's science center is really really cool, Griffith park is fun, the la zoo and the park behind it is cool (ride horses, bikes, etc), la break tarp its, observatory, of course the theme parks......

Food : chicken n waffles, pinks, norms, kings hawaiin

There is ALOT to do there and a very family oriented
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by B 1000
Either way, LA is a big county. There are parts of LA that I wouldn't live if you payed me, and there are other parts that are worth moving for.
It's like that anywhere good\bad parts of a city\town...

Brett, you can legally carry, so you have an advantage over many of us....

IMHO, the worst parts about living in CA are the gas prices, rent or homeownership, traffic and car insurance depending on your zip code.

CA is family friendly, so your 1 yo should be fine

Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Enclocal

It's like that anywhere good\bad parts of a city\town...

Brett, you can legally carry, so you have an advantage over many of us....

IMHO, the worst parts about living in CA are the gas prices, rent or homeownership, traffic and car insurance depending on your zip code.

CA is family friendly, so your 1 yo should be fine

Good luck with your decision!
Gun laws? I can't carry??

Quick Reply: Possible move to LA area