JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   SoCal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/socal-45/)
-   -   Rubicon Trail Run - July 9th (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/socal-45/rubicon-trail-run-july-9th-223072/)

CALIJK 03-14-2012 08:34 PM

Rubicon Trail Run - July 9th

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ic3.jpg?psid=1

****RUN IS NOW CLOSED****

My son Vince ("modestoperandi") and I plan to do a Rubicon Trail run starting early on July 9th from Loon Lake. We will drive up on Sunday, July 8th, then hit the trail early the next morning. Our plan is to make it to Buck Island Lake by Monday afternoon and camp. Tuesday will be a "down day" and a chance to explore the lake, kayak, fish, hike, or go on the hardcore optional runs, Old Sluice and Little Sluice. On Wednesday we will finish the trail through to Lake Tahoe. Thursday is a drive home day, or wherever you want to go.

One of the main reasons behind this July 9th Rubicon run is that last Summer Vince ran the optional and very hard-core Little Sluice section of the trail twice in his 2-door. I would not even attempt this crazy section in my 4-door. But, after our last run, he challenged me to run it! What other response could I give him but, "Yeah, I'll do it next year!" So, anyone who wants to come out and see the old man break his Jeep on Tuesday July 10th on Little Sluice - here is your chance.

Please keep watching this original post for updates.

If you have questions about the Rubicon trail, such as difficulty, requirements, what to bring, how to prepare, etc., please ask away. I'm sure there are many people on the forum with more Rubicon experience than Vince and I, but between the two of us, we ran the Rubicon 5 times last Summer, so we'd be happy to answer your questions.

Going:
1. CALIJK - Dave
2. modestoperandi - Vince
3. jk gypsy - Caroline + 2
4. MIKE948 - Mike
5. thrshr01 - Tracy + 1
6. yardbird - Mike
7. armor - Sergey
8. BigLow - Scott
9. yessamskates - Sam
10. talcaraz - Tommy + 1
11. Thorny - Alex + 1
12. gpmech7 - Shawn
13. Jim - Jim + 1

CALIJK 03-14-2012 09:00 PM

Here's a photo from the middle of Buck Island Lake during one of our trips last Summer:
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...489.JPG?psid=1

SDDan 03-14-2012 10:16 PM

I am very interested.. can't confirm anything yet but very interested... any chance for a Friday departure.. ?

CALIJK 03-15-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by SDDan (Post 2904211)
I am very interested.. can't confirm anything yet but very interested... any chance for a Friday departure.. ?

We start the trail on Monday morning so that we avoid the weekend "crowds."

jk gypsy 03-15-2012 06:01 AM

I'm in :cool:

Jeek.OlllllllO 03-15-2012 06:19 AM

Stocks? Lol might have my tires by then:)

CALIJK 03-15-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jk gypsy (Post 2904454)
I'm in :cool:

Of course you are - heck, I would have changed the dates to make sure you got on this run! It will be an EPIC adventure :rock:. You bringing Jack?

CALIJK 03-15-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO (Post 2904473)
Stocks? Lol might have my tires by then:)

Edgar, the Rubicon is a really tough trail and it is not somewhere I would feel comfortable leading new drivers or stock rigs. Better would be to see how you do on some tougher local trails first. I'm thinking trails like John Bull in Big Bear, Sidewinder and Bronco Peak in San Diego, and Doran Loop/Odessa Canyon out at Calico.

Jeek.OlllllllO 03-15-2012 07:35 AM

Oh OK thanks Dave let me know when you guys go too one of those :)

saravonshep 03-15-2012 07:50 AM

Got a trip planned in June. This will be a good back up plan if my June trip does not pan out.

jk gypsy 03-15-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by CALIJK (Post 2904559)
Of course you are - heck, I would have changed the dates to make sure you got on this run! It will be an EPIC adventure :rock:. You bringing Jack?

Aaawwwe - thank you. You're so sweet :wink:
Yes, Jack will be there. I'll make sure to keep him strapped in tight. He'll probably never forgive me...

Originally Posted by CALIJK (Post 2904573)
Edgar, the Rubicon is a really tough trail and it is not somewhere I would feel comfortable leading new drivers or stock rigs. Better would be to see how you do on some tougher local trails first. I'm thinking trails like John Bull in Big Bear, Sidewinder and Bronco Peak in San Diego, and Doran Loop/Odessa Canyon out at Calico.

I ran Corral Canyon (Sidewinder?) and at least part of Bronco last May stock with just 33" AT tires and Rubi rails and escaped with a dent, a scrape on the top part of my driver door (a little off camber by a wall of rock...) after having been winched, strapped and tugged about seven times - all after being assured that I'd do just fine on the trail :D
Good times :rock:

Verdulken 03-15-2012 08:37 AM

Write me up as a maybe Dave. I'm up here in NorCal right now but need to check if I can take weekdays off, I definitely want to do the Rubicon but may have to be on a 3 day weekend or something like that :dontknow2:. I would love to make it :yup: and hang with you and Caroline....maybe we can even get Steve to come :wink:

Captain Wild Thing 03-15-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Verdulken
Write me up as a maybe Dave. I'm up here in NorCal right now but need to check if I can take weekdays off, I definitely want to do the Rubicon but may have to be on a 3 day weekend or something like that :dontknow2:. I would love to make it :yup: and hang with you and Caroline....maybe we can even get Steve to come :wink:

Which steve white or Mexican? Put me down as a maybe

Strike Force Zebra 03-15-2012 09:24 AM

Dave, you did the Rubicon FIVE times last summer, holly smoke:eek2: You guys rock :rock:

Verdulken 03-15-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Wild Thing (Post 2904721)

I was talking about you ! :yup:

Sorry for not being specific, I forgot we have the two Steves :D

blazenjeep 03-15-2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Verdulken

I was talking about you ! :yup:

Sorry for not being specific, I forgot we have the two Steves :D

Don't count me out yet ....

Captain Wild Thing 03-15-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by blazenjeep

That's right better get your butt in gear and take some time off work!

Verdulken 03-15-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by blazenjeep (Post 2904800)

Sorry Steve :D

CALIJK 03-15-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by saravonshep (Post 2904605)
Got a trip planned in June. This will be a good back up plan if my June trip does not pan out.

Sounds good.

Originally Posted by Verdulken (Post 2904688)

Yes, it would be an amazing trip.

Originally Posted by Strike Force Zebra (Post 2904777)
Dave, you did the Rubicon FIVE times last summer, holly smoke:eek2: You guys rock :rock:

Cumulatively we did. I did it 3 times and Vince did it twice.

Come on, you know you want to see the old man beat Little Sluice!

CALIJK 03-15-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jk gypsy (Post 2904655)
...and escaped with a dent, a scrape on the top part of my driver door (a little off camber by a wall of rock...) after having been winched, strapped and tugged about seven times - all after being assured that I'd do just fine on the trail :D Good times :rock:

You can expect pretty much the same from the Rubicon trip!

CALIJK 03-15-2012 10:47 AM

NorCal

As of right now, NorCal has a group of 7 Jeeps that will be going on the Rubicon at the same time:

Familytime
JKZinger
Robsmst
RHD-Manx2
gene13
pjohn
fitzb

We will most likely do the trail separately, so that we have manageable groups, but then camp together at Buck Island lake for at least the first night. Should be quite a get-to-gether!

jk gypsy 03-15-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Verdulken (Post 2904688)

It would be good to see you my dislocated friend :yup:

Ask for the time off now so if they refuse your request, by July they won't remember and figure out that you're faking it when you call in sick almost all week :sick:
:synister: :brows:

jk gypsy 03-15-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by CALIJK (Post 2904907)
You can expect pretty much the same from the Rubicon trip!

That's okay. This time I'll be mentally prepared for it. :nuts: It took me three weeks to get over the first two (and so far only) 'scars' from Corral... :crybaby:

gpmech7 03-15-2012 08:01 PM

Please put me down as a maybe.

This has been a long time goal for me. Running the Rubicon in a Rubicon.:thumbsup:

CALIJK 03-15-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by gpmech7 (Post 2905940)
This has been a long time goal for me. Running the Rubicon in a Rubicon.:thumbsup:

Well?, are you ready to do it? Got you down as a Maybe.

gpmech7 03-16-2012 06:14 AM

I should be good to go by July

Originally Posted by CALIJK (Post 2905985)
Well?, are you ready to do it? Got you down as a Maybe.

I think I can, I think I can......hahahaha

wildandwillin 03-16-2012 07:02 AM

If you would of started wed I would go have fun

McPuck86 03-16-2012 07:28 AM

Hmmm ... let me talk to Ray ... :thinking:

wildandwillin 03-16-2012 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by McPuck86

Hell let's get a group going say leave wed and start the trail at loon lake on Thursday 7am

taher2.1 03-16-2012 08:25 AM

Mexican Steve got into Hookah and now he stays home and smoke...:D:D:D

Verdulken 03-16-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by taher2.1 (Post 2906574)

:doh: :rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

Verdulken 03-16-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by wildandwillin (Post 2906501)
Hell let's get a group going say leave wed and start the trail at loon lake on Thursday 7am

If this was the case I'm 99% sure I could do it :thumbsup:

taher2.1 03-16-2012 08:30 AM

I don't think I can will be able to get week days off ...So have fun guys

jk gypsy 03-16-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by taher2.1 (Post 2906574)

You know, between the lushes on the "Socal Jeep club" thread and the smokers here, I think I'm offended. I may have to find another Jeep club..........

Okay, that's as long as I could keep a straight face. I'm back now :rotflmao2::cheers:

Verdulken 03-16-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by taher2.1 (Post 2906586)
I don't think I can will be able to get week days off ...So have fun guys

What ??!! How're you gonna plan 2.2 then ?:thinking:

....or maybe this should be 2.2 :rock:

taher2.1 03-16-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Verdulken (Post 2906615)
What ??!! How're you gonna plan 2.2 then ?:thinking:

....or maybe this should be 2.2 :rock:

We will do that on Fri/Sat/Sun

CALIJK 03-16-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by McPuck86 (Post 2906482)

That would be awesome!

blazenjeep 03-16-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by taher2.1

No i work to dam much and smoke the hookah..... lol.......

SDDan 03-16-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by taher2.1 (Post 2906675)
We will do that on Fri/Sat/Sun

Not sure if im catching the right reference here but Rubicon trail on a Fri/Sat/Sun would be perfect for me.. if there is a plan for that i would love to know about it..

CALIJK 03-16-2012 01:03 PM

Our Run Dates Are Set

Thanks for all the interest and input; however, the dates for this run are set in solid stone. We will leave SoCal on July 8th and dirve the 8 hours or so up north. Early Monday morning July 9th we will depart from the Loon Lake trailhead.

If you want to run it some other day, I hope you have a great time, but please start your own thread.

I prefer to run the trail when there is less traffic, which is why we run on weekdays. Weekends tend to attract the folks who like to drink and drive at the same time, which I prefer to stay away from.

Note: Thursday July 12th through Sunday the 15th is the 5th annual Trail-A-Con so it will be a little busy.