Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

?'s about my first doorless road trip.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s about my first doorless road trip.

I'm about to embark on my first doorless road trip with my wife and 2 boys from Fontana to the kern River. Are there any precautions I should take considering the length of the trip and the fact that my sons are 10 & 6? Also I'm driving a JKU. Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hilop
I'm about to embark on my first doorless road trip with my wife and 2 boys from Fontana to the kern River. Are there any precautions I should take considering the length of the trip and the fact that my sons are 10 & 6? Also I'm driving a JKU. Thanks
Gonna be one windy ride if your running highway so if you havent run at those speeds w/o doors you may want to first . This is my first Wrangler and I take the doors off as much as possible but its been one wet spring/summer here in the north east so needless to say they have been on more than off. Persoanlly I love the open air but its choppy at 60 mph
Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Very very windy. Every time anything passes you it will feel like an 18 wheeler. And when an 18 wheeler passes you, you might feel like you've just been picked up by a tornado.

Also, if you thought you got bad mpg now.. It will drop pretty significantly.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the wind , and its colder then doors on with the windows open . ps sunscreen and chapstick are a must
Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Def remember the sunscreen first time I drove without my doors I forgot t sunscreen my legs and I def paid for it the next day.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have mirrors? If not, I would get some. Make sure any lose articles, especially light weight ones, are secured in the vehicle. It seems like random gusts of wind will hit without warning. Even if it's 90, pack a sweatshirt or jacket, at some point you might need it. Finally, make sure everyone is buckled in.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Take the wife and kids on a short test ride and see if they like it. Don't want to be turning round to put the doors back on halfway.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
Very very windy. Every time anything passes you it will feel like an 18 wheeler. And when an 18 wheeler passes you, you might feel like you've just been picked up by a tornado.

Also, if you thought you got bad mpg now.. It will drop pretty significantly.
Definitely agree on the wind factor. Although I'm not understanding how you think removing heavy doors would reduce mpg.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by numbah1
Definitely agree on the wind factor. Although I'm not understanding how you think removing heavy doors would reduce mpg.
Kind of in agreeance with u one this as even with a two door its noticable when the doors are off in regards to engine response and ride feel but at the same time no doors does take away what clean air flow there is around the Jeep. I personally haven't notice an mpg drop but maybe a four door is a bit worse.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Kind of in agreeance with u one this as even with a two door its noticable when the doors are off in regards to engine response and ride feel but at the same time no doors does take away what clean air flow there is around the Jeep. I personally haven't notice an mpg drop but maybe a four door is a bit worse.
You will get significantly less mpg with the doors and top off. Yes, you are removing heavy doors and top, which around town might even help your mpg, but at highway speed aerodynamics and wind drag are much more significant factors. The added drag on the vehicle will negate any benefits in weight reduction. Simple as that. Physics.
Fontana to Kern is a decent drive. I've done Murrieta to BigBear and back in a day, you'll feel pretty wind whipped by the end of it if you and your passengers aren't used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: ?'s about my first doorless road trip.