JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   SoCal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/socal-45/)
-   -   ?'s about my first doorless road trip. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/socal-45/s-about-my-first-doorless-road-trip-323732/)

GutWrench 07-08-2015 04:27 AM

Do it bro. have fun and make some memories. :thumbsup:

jchappies 07-08-2015 07:14 AM

Like others have said take a test ride with the wife first on the freeway. My kids like it but they say they can feel small pebbles or sand like rocks hit them from driving (something to consider also). If your running topless to get a spiderwebshade to help with the sun beating down on you. Be sure to pack jackets.

Machoo 07-08-2015 07:30 AM

Doors off is a straight blast! Go for a test run but whatever you do. Just do it. It's a whole new experience! Yes there will be wind. Yes it will be noisy. You will not be able to talk to anyone in the backseat. But chances are everyone will have a giant smile. Except your wife. She will hate you for ruining her hair......

But enough can't be said about any loose items. Lock em down. My old TJ actually used to blow out the floor mats with doors off!!

Lastly. You will find yourself looking for the rear view mirrors. They will be gone of course so you will need to keep your head on a swivel. If you can get some cheap mirrors that bolt on to the door hinges.

KMM 07-08-2015 08:03 AM

Wife will want a hat or headband to tame the hair...

I've also been hit by a bug or 2 with my leg out on the rock slider, that can get gross.

lwp411 07-08-2015 11:55 AM

Doors off is a hoot, as many have said. Go for it, you'll all enjoy it. :thumbsup:

My only $0.02 would be to go to Walmart and buy a couple of those old school shoulder pads people used to put on their seat belts for comfort. My seat belts on my '15 flapped like crazy with the doors off and made a hell of a racket, but one of those on each side (on the vertical section of the belt) made all the noise and movement go away. They cost ~$2, and come in black so they are basically invisible next to the seats

Run2Ga 07-08-2015 03:19 PM

I love driving doorless and topless, but the passengers in the back really take a beating from the wind. I try not to subject them to anything more than an hour or so like that.

I haven't tried doorless but with my soft top on, may have to let a backseat passenger give that a try.

Hilop 07-08-2015 06:30 PM

We decided to leave the doors on. I took my wife on the freeway last night doorless and she realized that I was right about it being wind wipped. It was only 78* when we test drove but it might be 58* on one of the mornings. Thanks for the responses!

Buckshot207 07-08-2015 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hilop (Post 4119475)
I'm about to embark on my first doorless road trip with my wife and 2 boys from Fontana to the kern River. Are there any precautions I should take considering the length of the trip and the fact that my sons are 10 & 6? Also I'm driving a JKU. Thanks

Go with the doors for comfort and therefore...safety. There is a correlation. Take the doors off upon arrival and leave them at your camp.

Hilop 07-08-2015 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Buckshot207 (Post 4120000)
Go with the doors for comfort and therefore...safety. There is a correlation. Take the doors off upon arrival and leave them at your camp.

This is exactly what I wanted to do but my wife was being a pest about being doorless. Thanks

webejeepin 07-09-2015 05:39 AM

As others have said its a hoot, store everything you don't want to blow out :)

The dirty dog sun screen does cut down on the vortex wind storm on the highway.

Oh, and get ready for all the looks you will get at the stop lights...,priceless 👍