Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Snow Cables/Chains required for Duratracs in SoCal mountains?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Cables/Chains required for Duratracs in SoCal mountains?

I just put on some new Duratracs on my 2011 Unlimited. They are size 33x12.5r15. I have a set of cables for my Sahara stockers that aren't rated for the bump in tire size. I never used them even once though.

What's everyone's experience with needing snow chains in the area? I'll mainly be hitting Big Bear, Angeles Crest, Mt. Pinos, and Cleghorn.

Duratracs are 10 snow rated, but that won't matter with ice.

Like I said, I've never had to use the cables on my old stockers, but not sure if I want to take a chance.

The main downside is they're $80 and up for a pair of two, and I would assume I'd need them for all 4 tires in 4x4, right? If not, are they better on the front or back?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a nice set of chains for the rear tires - prob wont need em unless your foolish enuff to go out in a blizzard. then i hope you brought a lot of food and water and some very warm blankets.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Former Shasta
I just put on some new Duratracs on my 2011 Unlimited. They are size 33x12.5r15. I have a set of cables for my Sahara stockers that aren't rated for the bump in tire size. I never used them even once though.

What's everyone's experience with needing snow chains in the area? I'll mainly be hitting Big Bear, Angeles Crest, Mt. Pinos, and Cleghorn.

Duratracs are 10 snow rated, but that won't matter with ice.

Like I said, I've never had to use the cables on my old stockers, but not sure if I want to take a chance.

The main downside is they're $80 and up for a pair of two, and I would assume I'd need them for all 4 tires in 4x4, right? If not, are they better on the front or back?

Thanks.

You may not need chains, but the CHP may require you to carry chains (they don't specifically state the chains have to fit or not)

CA Chain Requirements
Chain Requirements

Happy holidays
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually a 4x4 with good tires is excellent in the snow. However there are times, such as on nasty ice & compacted snow, when chains are very valuable. I do have chains for all four, but only chained up the front to get me out of this really nasty ice. I could hardly stand on it! Fell once, moving from the passenger side tire to the drivers side tire, while chaining up.

Note that these chains are left over from my previous two full size 4x4 trucks and are a little big for the tires I have on the Jeep. That explains why the inside of the chains isn't fitting right. Still, they went on easy (other than me falling flat on the ice) and got me out of there very nicely. I was prepared to put the back set on as well, but didn't need to do so.

That ice was so bad... I didn't realize it. Was driving up a grade in 4-high, and all was well. The grade got steeper and I downshifted - that's when the Jeep started sliding backwards down the hill, even though I was in 1st gear! I shoved it into reverse and put it in the small ditch on the side of the road. If I'd have gone off the other side, the Jeep would have been down in a deep, rocky ravine, maybe not right side up... The moral of that story is to chain up early, before your Jeep starts sliding around!

Mostly though - the Jeeps do really well in snowy conditions. I think that's the first time I've chained up a 4x4 in about four years - when I chained up my old pickup to go get my son's stuck Jeep out of the snow... Sigh...

Usually they do great in the snow!

Edited - sorry - I used to live in SoCal, before I made my escape 20 years ago. Wheeled a lot out there, and like to check in with the SoCal 4x4 community now and again.

Regards, CW
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I was up in Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead over the weekend during the snow storm. I got stopped a few times and was asked if I had chains. "They are in the back with all the equipment" is what I always say. I have Goodyear MTRs and they stay on the road when icy ok, but the Duratracks will be better.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default will cables do it?

Hey Guys,

Same line of question as in OP. I am heading up to Lake Tahoe next week and snow storms are in the forecast. I am running 35 MTRs. I have a set of cable chains but they look so miniscule compared to the tire's lugs. Do you guys think they are adequate or should i buy real steel chains? Never took the jeep through deep snow before.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onetanjk
Hey Guys,

Same line of question as in OP. I am heading up to Lake Tahoe next week and snow storms are in the forecast. I am running 35 MTRs. I have a set of cable chains but they look so miniscule compared to the tire's lugs. Do you guys think they are adequate or should i buy real steel chains? Never took the jeep through deep snow before.
I live 1 hr north of Tahoe. I'll be up in Incline Vlg in Tahoe this week too 26th-27th. You'll be fine with just your MTR's. I'm running Hankook Dynapro MT's, only real need for chains or cables would be on lots of ice, mud tires don't do well at all with ice. Have fun! I'm hoping they close 20 and 80 due to snow, nothin like having a snow covered freeway to yourself. We go up there every year, the last few times we drove right on through the 'closed road' signs and got through all alone with no problems, get lots of thumbs up/waves from CalTrans! edit:In a lifted Jeep with good tires, they never check or ask if you have chains, atleast not here in Nor Cal Sierra Nevadas, lived here all my life

Last edited by k0260; 12-21-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See this - yes it seems you need to have them with you

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...de/chains.html
Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Just came back from big bear diddnt need chains. They checked if I had any on the way up, nothing on the way down
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
I live 1 hr north of Tahoe. I'll be up in Incline Vlg in Tahoe this week too 26th-27th. You'll be fine with just your MTR's.
Thanks, we'll be skiing in northstar area.

Quick Reply: Snow Cables/Chains required for Duratracs in SoCal mountains?